Galaxy S3 doesn't work in Mexico?
lkz8776
Enthusiast - Level 2

I dumped Sprint and switched to Verizon a couple months ago when I found out the VZN Galaxy S3 was going to be a "global" phone.  I travel a lot to Mexico and Asia. 

I have the latest firmware, 4.1.2.  So I was about to go to Mexico and I went to a Verizon store and was told sorry, your phone can't be used internationally until you have been a customer for 6 months and then we will unlock it.  And also, it will only work on CDMA networks, not GSM.

Then the next day I called Verizon customer support to ask again, and this time I was told that if I have the latest firmware then yes, the phone is already unlocked to global use and yes, it will work on GSM networks if I put a local SIM card in it.  The exact opposite answers. 

I went to Mexico last week, bought a Mexico SIM card (IUSACell provider, GSM 850/1900), put the SIM card in, turn the phone on, and it didn't work.  Could not find or connect to any network.  I sent about a half an hour going through the network settings but nothing worked.

Is there a Verizon employee on this forum that can can tell me:  Is my phone unlocked for global use and does it work on GSM networks?

Here are the specs for the VZN Galaxy S3 that I found on the Verizon web site:

Network: LTE, CDMA/PCS/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)

Apparently it doesn't work on GSM networks because it's not in the specification?

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S3 doesn't work in Mexico?
GLW163
Contributor - Level 1

Mexico is a coverage area for Verizons CMDA network. You need to put your Verizon SIM card back in. Call Verizon from a land line and have them enable the International Calling feature on your phone.

0 Likes
lkz8776
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I know I can roam internationally in Mexico but why would I want to do that and pay outrageously high roaming charges when I can put in a Mex SIM card and pay extremely low rates for calling AND data.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon's network doesn't use GSM so there wouldn't be a GSM radio in a Verizon branded phone. Thus a GSM SIM card isn't going to work.

0 Likes
lkz8776
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok I found the full specs for the Galaxy S3 phone. It claims to be a global phone with quad-band GSM radio.

Go here and click on "Specs":

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedP...

Network
  • LTE, CDMA/PCS/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
  • Global: GPRS/EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900); HSPA/UMTS (2100)

However I took it to Mexico and put a local SIM card in it and it didn't work.  Can a Verizon employee tell me, is my phone locked so I can't use it overseas yet??

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Just like the rep told you, your account has to be in good standing for 6 months before they will unlock the SIM for you.

0 Likes
yoursave12

get telcel chip and set your phone to global network for some reason iusacell does not work your phone dont need any unlocking or code dont believe verizon

0 Likes
lkz8776
Enthusiast - Level 2

You were right, I bought a Mexico Telcel SIM chip and it works perfectly.  I even have data working too.  For some reason the IUSACell SIM does not work but why???

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Could be an incompatible frequency.

0 Likes
lkz8776
Enthusiast - Level 2

From what I read online, IUSACell uses GSM 850 / 1900 MHz  frequencies which should be compatible with my phone. 

0 Likes