Re: Galaxy S3 Sudden Death
jascotx
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hate to say it, but if you talk to their higher level Tech Support they can generally provide a refurbished phone at no charge.  Especially considering all of the bugs Verizon has encountered with their 4.3 Android update.  And, yes, I'm talking about phones out of "warranty".  Then again, who knows, maybe VZW is changing their policies and now attempting to charge customers for tech problems that should not have occurred.  Sounds Best Buy"ish" though.

0 Likes
jrive

I just got my Galaxy mini one week ago. When did you start having problems with your phone?I ask because this is my first smartphone but my 6th phone in one year due to malfunctions and I was told I should have no problems with this phone but through research and asking my family I was told this phone is not good because it is a Adroid and that causes problems.

0 Likes
toddbdac

When 5 phones malfunction in one year you have to wonder if it's operator error or the actual geographical location you are trying to use the phones in.

The S3 issue this thread is about is seemingly specific to the S3, and an issue where it turns off and won't turn back on again. The warning signs: it turns off and will turn back on again.

0 Likes
swoozieb

My S3 died again today. This is about the 5-6 time. It is almost a year old. It had a 90% charge at the time. I wasn't using it. Holding on/off for 10 sec doesn't work. I have to remove the battery. I called Samsung last time this happened, about 6 weeks ago. The tech blamed it on the apps I have installed. Of course, not the phone's problem. She talked me thru some reset which obviously didn't help. Guess it is time to go to Verizon store.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

swoozieb, it's time for us to step in and assist you. Some 3rd party applications downloaded to your device can affect the performance of it. Have you tried deleting a few applications and power cycling it off/on to soft reset it? Is there any physical or liquid damage on your device?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
swoozieb

Thank you for replying!  I have not deleted any applications, There are  a bunch of apps on there that I did not install, not sure what they do and am afraid to delete them. I have never dropped or damaged the phone. Although one day, when the phone 'died' we were outside a T-Mobile shop and went inside so I could remove the battery. The sales guy there asked me whether the phone had been in water, indicating some spot on the battery that he said looked like water damage, I thought he was full of it. We put the battery back in, it worked fine and we left.

SwoozieB

>..<

Email info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
cedar_23

Hi:

I have the exact same problem with my S3 as what's described here by others already.

The phone would turn off by itself when the battery still has plenty of charge left.  After each instance I could not turn the phone back on by just pressing the power button, I had to take out the battery and wait 10 seconds or so before putting the battery back, only then the phone could be turned back on.

I had this problem on my first S3, I got a replacement phone but it still has the exact problem.

This problem would occur about 2~3 times a month.

How can I get this issue resolved?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for taking the time to reply back, swoozieb! Have we tried running your phone through Safe Mode? While this does not delete apps from your phone, it does disable them temporarily. Try this first, as it can help us figure out the cause.

http://bit.ly/V6wnr1

Let us know the results!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
cedar_23

Hi:

I have the exact same problem with my S3 as what's described here by others already.

The phone would turn off by itself when the battery still has plenty of charge left.  After each instance I could not turn the phone back on by just pressing the power button, I had to take out the battery and wait 10 seconds or so before putting the battery back, only then the phone could be turned back on.

I had this problem on my first S3, I got a replacement phone but it still has the exact problem.

This problem would occur about 2~3 times a month.

How can I get this issue resolved?

0 Likes
swoozieb

Safe Mode was tried by the Samsung tech when I called a couple of months ago after the phone died. I called them and they talked me thru it. Didn't work cuz the phone died again last week. Smiley Sad

0 Likes