Galaxy S10+ falling back to 3g?
Al1303

I have an unlocked Galaxy S10+ purchased as a pre-order. Service/coverage/performance was great until about 6 weeks ago when data connections started falling back to 3g (coincidently right about the time the first 5g devices were launching?). Never had this problem with the S7/S8+/S9+ which preceeded this device and did not have the problem during the first months of ownership. I've tried both Global and LTE/CDMA mobile settings as well as roaming on/off with no difference. Have also reset the network settings and no improvement.

Ran the MyVerizon device diagnostics and it tells me "Your phone could be on a better network". No matter what network settings i choose it consistently reports that - hopefully it's not telling me to jump carriers!!

Any thoughts on what else to try?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S10+ falling back to 3g?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry to hear about the issues with your service, Al1303. This is not the experience we want for you and I'm happy to help troubleshoot this. I'm glad to hear that you have been proactive with troubleshooting We would never want you consider leaving the Verizon family. What's the nearest cross streets and zip code of the location where you are having issues? Are other Verizon Wireless customers nearby to you having issues as well? Are you having issues with calling, texting or mobile data primarily when you fall back to 3G service? 

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
Al1303

Thanks for the followup. Here are some additional details:

Zip code 30189, cross street Hillcrest ln and East Hills way. Affected inbound calls (direct to voicemail), delayed text, and 3g data. iPhone 8+ at the same location with 4g data and no other issues. Cycling to airplane mode and back then produced a 4g connection. In app diagnostic showed cellular network as "good". Device was stationary

Zip code 30144, cross street I575 and Bells Ferry also I575 and Barrett pkwy. Went from 4g to no service to 3g (Bells Ferry) Went from 4g to 3g (barrett pkwy) and remaind on 3g until I75 and North Marietta loop. Data affected, android auto reported "no internet connection" unsure if calls or texts were impacted. Device was mobile. This occurs fairly consitently at these locations both during peak and non peak times (for example this morning at 0630)

Zip code 37881, cross street Rackum Rd, North Union Rd. Affected inbound calls (direct to voicemail), delayed text and 3g data. AC791L and USB730L in same location both had 4g connections. Device was stationary

For all locations referenced above my S10+ did not have connectivity issues until recently. Previous devices (S7, S8+, S9+) also did not have issues with 4g data in those locations. 

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

apples/oranges........different phones function differently, one works....the other doesn't.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Over this span of an area coupled with your past success in these places makes us consider the device. During your experience, at any time has the SIM card been removed and re-inserted? Before we have you perform a Factory Data Reset, have these "Reset All Settings" steps been tried?
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-223003/

DavidH_VZW

0 Likes
Al1303

I spend a lot of hours on my device as a part of my work so i can't deal with instability/poor performance. So I picked up a S10 5g and it has performed well in all the Georgia locations where the S10+ was struggling. Have not tried the Tennessee location yet, but i'm optimistic. 

I had done a Reset Network Settings on the device as part of prior debug, but the issue persisted. Regarding the SIM card, when i picked up my S10 5g i added another line which will eventually replace one of my other devices. Because i wanted to keep my number my SIM is in the 5g and a brand new SIM was installed in the S10+. I had the two units side by side on the drive home and the 5g kept signal while the S10+ would cycle no service/3g. 

The initial failure coincided with a software update, so was hoping maybe it was a firmware issue similar to what was has been seen with other carriers on the S10s. If there's no record/patch for this affecting S10s on the network i'm starting to think it's a hardware issue with the device....

0 Likes
theangelamber

HELLO.I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM ITS JUST JUSING 3g & Some areas are saying 3G but not getting service.

Phone: UNLOCKED A Galaxy S10 in White Prism {Paid for in Full@Best Buy as an Unlocked Version. on my husband then was able to swap my line to it by inserting my SIM from my proir phone (S9+) as I discussed with the Sales Rep. The SIM that came with the S10 was inserted into his S8 and all was updated on Verizon Wireless. How do I get my phone to go back to using 4G and not having service in certain areas at all. By this I mean the internet as well as calling and texting going in and out.

The most recent location this has happened is @Walgreen's 301 E. Pulaski Hey, Elkton, Maryland 21921.

My email is [email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service]

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello theangelamber,

My phone is my lifeline, so I understand how important it is to have full use of your device. I'm so sorry to learn of this issue with the phone picking up 3G service, and I'm happy to assist you. I'm not showing any reported issues in the location you mentioned. Tell me, is this happening in only the location you provided(indoors at Walgreen's), or is it the case no matter where you use your phone? Please try a couple troubleshooting steps for us. The first one is resetting the network settings. Just click this link and follow the steps: http://spr.ly/660011vwp Next, make sure WiFi is off and power the phone off. While it's off, remove the SIM card (steps here: http://spr.ly/660111vwV ), and leave it out for about a minute or so. Then, re-insert the SIM card and power the phone on. Please let us know how that goes, thank you.  

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes
schke07

I am having the same issue anywhere I travel as of Wednesday last week 9/14/2020.

I have reset Network, Reset Phone Settings, I did a Factory Reset.  No help.

I can't believe this is a problem with everyone's phone at the same time.

Something is wrong with the Verizon network.  Can Verizon look into that instead of thinking that it is coincidence that everyone's phone is falling back to 3G due to something wrong with the phone?  It is obviously a Verizon issue not a phone issue.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes