Firmware update - Shut down screen, timeout problems and 4G connectivity
netminder97

Ever since the recent firmware update, I am having terrible issues with my GS3 that were not present.  Here are a few:

1.  Shut down screen pops up randomly and frequently.  I could be typing a text or on the internet, and the Shut Down screen will randomly pop up, sometimes 3 - 4 times in a row before it goes away.  It's more annoying than anything, but it's still a disruptive problem

2.  Screen time out.  If I hit the power button to put my phone into sleep mode, the screen will "sleep" until I set the phone down or put it in my pocket, and then it will wake up again (causing me to butt dial or connect to things I don't need to connect to).  It refuses to stay in sleep mode.  It will sometimes come out of sleep mode randomly while I'm sitting at my desk during the day.  I will put the phone in sleep mode when I myself and sleeping at night, and when I wake up the phone has come out of sleep mode and has been awake a long time, resulting in an overheated phone.   When it does come out of sleep mode, the Shut Down screen is always present (see #1).  It's as if my phone wants to shut down and stay that way, forever (keep it up and I will be sure that happens)

3.  4G connectivity is awful.  I receive 2 - 3 bars max during the day.  If there are 2 or less bars, I get no 4G connectivity.  Once the phone switches to 3G, it will not switch back to 4G unless I shut down (but don't worry, the Shut Down screen is ALWAYS there and available).

Is anyone else having similar problems?  Is there a way to reverse this update?  My phone was 100% fine prior to this roll-out.  Makes me want to switch to iPhone, and I hate Apple products.

0 Likes
Re: Firmware update - Shut down screen, timeout problems and 4G connectivity
motoryder
Contributor - Level 1

I think I'm having the same issue as you with the sleep mode. My phone has done that the past few days since the update. As for reverting back to before the update you cannot.

0 Likes
AdamZe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Netminder.  Please check the forums.  You will see that many of us are having this same issue and there is no fix. Samsung will have to create a software fix, then Verizon will have to "test" it.  This is going to take months.

Factory resets, new sim cards, reboots, etc... will not solve the problem. 

I for one, had Verizon send me a replacement phone.  Is it a certified like new?  Yes, but that's ok. 

The phone does not have the bugged update so it's running on 4.1.2 but the old build of that which doesn't include the latest stuff.  And it's running great.  The phone is fast, it connects to everything instantly and is like having a new phone. 

I'd strongly recommend getting the CLNR.  First it costs Verizon money to have to ship all of these phones back and forth and then fix the broken ones.  So it's kind of like sticking it to them, a little bit at least.  Second, you will have a working GS3 again and that's the bottom line.

0 Likes
bucknastytoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Could stay android and  move over to Sprint or AT&T, they didn't have these issues with their upgrade.

Superman302383948

Neither T-mobile and they had a similar update just recently.

0 Likes