Re: Ever since latest update.....
pdubya
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received the update in mid-January, and have had the same problems as everyone else - random app crashes, battery drain, laggy response in general, etc. I did write an email to the FCC at that time. A couple of days ago, I received a call from Verizon asking whether I was still having problems. While some of the earlier weirdnesses have straigtened out (or I've found helps like an app that will remove that annoying huge text box on my lock screen), other issues have remained.

The CSR said he had the same phone and commiserated about his nav app, etc. I got sort of a chuckle about that. He offered to send me a replacement S3, whereupon I asked if it had the update on it. He affirmed it did, so I said nah, I didn't need to exchange a phone for one with the same problems AND have to do all the changing over of info, contacts, etc. He then offered to send an S4 for me to try for a few days, and then to send one of the phones back. It's a refurb, but I agreed and it arrived at the hotel (I had asked for that since I'd be out of town when the phone would arrive.)

Unfortunately, I forgot to pack a USB cable, so I'm finding a local Verizon store and letting them switch the phone so I can play with the S4 a couple of days. I have yet to read the S4 forums regarding the update; I'd assume they may be having the same issues, but I'm not sure.

But, hey, an upgrade which won't affect my contract (although I need to see if it affects my insurance) at no cost - sounds good to me. At the least, I'm out a few hours of my time, and if I keep my same S3 after all, I'm no worse off than when I started.

aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

I'm shocked you got a newer model phone! Even though it's a refurb. I spoke with 2 supervisors and my only option was another S3. I did that....which solved nothing as I expected.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i've never seen them give an option to an upgraded phone as a replacement & i've known known several folks who asked & they got the same model or nothing.

jbmcdroid
Contributor - Level 1

"Downgrading from 4.4 back to 4.3 - Google Product Forums

productforums.google.com/.../9B1a9G"

Rob (and others wanting OS rollback to 4.1.2), have you read any 4.4 KitKat discussions as the above? Seems like many users who had 4.3 and got an OTA 4.4 update are just as upset with Google & Company as we are with our OTA 4.3 update. Guess the iconic sentiment "the grass isn't always greener on the other side" still holds true.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi jbmcdroid!  I would love to work with you in getting the issue with your 4G/LTE and WiFi connection resolved on your Samsung Galaxy S III.

Please note that there is a new feature "Auto Network Switch" available on your device with the 4.3 upgrade.  "Auto network switch" evaluates data connection when WiFi link quality deterioration is detected and it disables the WiFi connection (AP) and connects to the cellular network automatically.  When data connection tests fails, it disables the AP and connects to the cellular network automatically.  Here is a link to enable and disable the Auto Network Switch setting: http://vz.to/1jkutUQ.  Please let me know how changing this setting works out for you.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jbmcdroid,

Thank you so much for the information. I agree with your process of closing out the applications that are draining your battery. Let us know if you are having any other issues.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jbmcdroid
Contributor - Level 1

To Verizon Wireless Customer Support concerning your auto-switching (Wi-Fi to Mobile) suggestion. I think many of us are aware of this option, but what are the consequences of that? The objective of using Wi-Fi is to reduce the expensive dependency on 4G/LTE with its over-priced data packages. What we need is a sooner-than-later fix for this frustrating (FCC violation, some have said) on/off Wi-Fi connection problem. Your auto-switching option is just another bandaid.

Helen234
Enthusiast - Level 1

This update is mandatory and No one is fixing the problem so far. It looks like a scam.

0 Likes
alijawahir

Fed up of this wifi issue. Verizon, please fix the wifi problem.

0 Likes
alijawahir

Please provide update patch for wifi or downgrade option to 4.1.2

0 Likes