Early Termination-is is prorated?
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

I was wondering if anyone knows how the early termination fees are calculated. 

Do the fees get smaller as the contract grows shorter?

I am almost 7 months into a new contract with my Galaxy S3, and I'm so fed up with it I'm ready to pay the fee and get back on a dumb phone.  But I don't want to pay $400 to get out of this.  I've already spent a ton of money trying to maintain this thing in a usable fashion...I've had to buy extra batteries,  invested in extra chargers and portable power packs so that I am never in a place that I can't get juice to the thing.  I've probably spent $250 on maintaining this thing.

I can't get to customer service, dropping a note here in case it might be answered quicker... 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Early Termination-is is prorated?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BirdOnTheBeach, we certainly don't want you to consider leaving and going anywhere else. The contract is for the service itself. If you are just looking to get a different phone, you can activate a basic VZW phone that you already have, purchase a VZW phone from a friend or website, or at full retail.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

WHAT HAPPENS IF MY POSTPAY SERVICE IS CANCELED BEFORE THE END OF MY CONTRACT TERM?

If you're signing up for Postpay Service, you're agreeing to subscribe to a line of Service either on a month–to–month basis or for a minimum contract term, as shown on your receipt or order confirmation. (If your Service is suspended without billing, that time doesn't count toward completing your contract term.) Once you've completed your contract term, you'll automatically become a customer on a month–to–month basis for that line of Service. If you cancel a line of Service, or if we cancel it for good cause, during its contract term, you'll have to pay an early termination fee. If your contract term results from your purchase of an advanced device, your early termination fee will be $350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you complete. Otherwise, your early termination fee will be $175 minus $5 for each full month of your contract term that you complete. Cancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle, and you are responsible for all charges incurred until then. Also, if you bought your wireless device from an authorized agent or third–party vendor, you should check whether they charge a separate termination fee.

From http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/globalText?textName=CUSTOMER_AGREEMENT&jspName=footer/customerAgr... which is at the bottom of every Verizon Wireless web page.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

$350 minus $10 for each month up to 24 completed months.

so minus $70 (For 7 Months from the $350=$280 ETF owed)

Good Luck

0 Likes
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you Ann, and thank you Elector.  Yes, Ann, (Duh.)     I could have pulled out my agreement...it is sitting right here next to my desk...

Having a smartphone was a great (and expensive) experiment, but I don't like how much control Google has over what I use and how I use it.  Disengaging.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BirdOnTheBeach, we certainly don't want you to consider leaving and going anywhere else. The contract is for the service itself. If you are just looking to get a different phone, you can activate a basic VZW phone that you already have, purchase a VZW phone from a friend or website, or at full retail.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you, MarquiaF.  I greatly appreciate your added information.  Most helpful and appreciated.  I am considering doing just that.

I have no plans to leave Verizon.  I have been extremely happy with customer service and with coverage.  My biggest complaint is the handling of this OS upgrade which I know has nothing to do with Customer Service.

0 Likes