Duplicate Contact Posts of Myself
Rolfster
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's the scenario.  I have the contact at the very top of the Contacts app (which, of course, is me) and then I have another one of me listed alphabetically.  How does one update the "owner of the phone" contact at the top and then delete the one that is in the contact list alphabetically?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Duplicate Contact Posts of Myself
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rolfster, thank you for reaching out to us in this community forum. Your contacts, including the one automatically on the top of your list, should all be able to be modified by tapping on them and selecting the edit option. This process might be different on different device. What kind of phone do you have?

JavierMD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rolfster, thank you for reaching out to us in this community forum. Your contacts, including the one automatically on the top of your list, should all be able to be modified by tapping on them and selecting the edit option. This process might be different on different device. What kind of phone do you have?

JavierMD_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Rolfster
Enthusiast - Level 3

JavierMD_VZW I have a Samsung Galaxy S7.  This is not the first time that I had the "Me" contact at the teop and then my name later in the list.  The one later in the list has more detail.  Can you confirm that what you told me is still the correct thing to do for the Samsung Galaxy S7?  Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's look a little deeper into this, Rolfster. Are you able to edit your profile on the contacts page? What contacts do you have selected to display? Tap 3 dots on contacts page>Settings> Contacts to display.

DerekR_VZW

0 Likes
Rolfster
Enthusiast - Level 3

DerekR_VZW / Whom Ever Answers This from VZW:

I want to make sure that I have all the detail for my question.  So for the Samsung Galasy S7 (SGS7) there is the "Me" contact as the first entry and then I have my name (Last, First) as another contact.  Here is what I want in the end.  I want to have only the "Me" contact at the top and have it be linked to my Google Contacts, i.e. it looks like the "Me" Contact and the Last, First name contact of myself are two different contacts.  I am aware that you can simply edit contacts.  The issue here is that I only want one of myself, have it all appear in the "Me" Contact and not have the Last, First contact of myself be in my Google Contacts but instead the "Me" Contact would be the Last, First without the repeat.  Did I clarify that better?  If not, please let me know.  Thanks again for your patience in helping me.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I currently don't have the same thing on my current phone, I do remember seeing the two contacts on some of my past phones. The "Me" Contact is stored only on the phone itself and the other contact with your name is stored through your Google account or another account you keep contacts in. What I ended up doing was add my name to the "Me" Contact and added a note to look for the "other me". I don't recall if you could join or link the two contacts together to appear as one.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rolfster,

I appreciate all the extra details. We definitely want for you to have your “me” contact exactly the way you want it. Let’s roll up our sleeves a bit more. From what I’m understand is that you want the other “me” contact that is listed alphabetically to link as one contact, but have it listed as the very first one in the contacts list. Is this correct? Ann154, gave a great suggestion of joining the contacts. Have you tried that? If that is the case, please see these steps: http://vz.to/2obIdKE.

AliciaS_VZW

0 Likes
Rolfster
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is joining the same thing as "merging" two contacts.  I have done that before and what I end up with is a contact with two google tabs inside one contact, each having very similar information except maybe one has a work phone number and website while the other one does not have the work phone and website.  This what happens when I merge duplicate contacts.
I feel as thought linking contacts and merging contacts are two different things.  Is that correct?  I will wait to try this when I get a response.  Thanks Verizon Customer Support.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You are very correct. Merging/joining the contacts are the same thing.

I also have the S7, so I believe I understand what you want to do.

You can go through the contacts list to delete that contact entry.

Once that is done, go back to the Profile information which is the one you want to keep at the top. Make sure the name, number, email addressed, etc. are entered the way you want them to be entered.

I hope that helps.

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes