Don't know what to do or who to ask??? GPS stopped working after 4.4.2 Kitkat update.
ebohspwf
Enthusiast - Level 1

Don't know what to do or who to ask??? GPS stopped working after 4.4.2 Kitkat update.

I have been on the phone multiple times with Verizon, visited multiple stores and still getting different answers with every different person I talk to...

Since the 4.4.2 update, my phone and my wife's phone (14 or 15 month old SIII's) that worked perfect a couple weeks ago no longer know where they are 95% percent of the time... Location cannot be found and GPS satellites cannot be seen (sometimes after searching for 10 - 20 minutes they will lock on).

And it's not just Google maps, it is all apps that need location (ie. gps status and toolbox, weather channel, etc...)

Google maps has us in the right location 50% of the time  but i think that has more to do with 4g and wifi (although i always know the weather and traffic conditions in the next town over now).

Navigation will set up fine in Google maps until you actual move the car. Then it updates location every couple minutes, but usually a couple streets over from where I actually am. Maybe 1 out of every four or five times I try it, it will start working about 15 minutes after I started it (then work flawlessly, so it can actually work sometimes). But if you end the process and start over to see if it really "works", back to square one with it not knowing its location all over again...

I obviously did all the normal trouble shooting fixes with the battery and sim card removals and even did a "recommended factory data reset" on my phone with no luck. After this didn't work I stopped by another verizon store yesterday that has "tech services" that I was told could run some sort of diagnostics on my phone. After I showed the tech all the screen shots i have taken of what was happening while driving, he said it is a software problem and a very common one at that.

I was told I should either buy new phones or switch to the edge program where i can get a new phones. These don't seem like very fair solutions to me considering before the 4.4.2 update our phones worked perfect and they are both in almost perfect condition after 14 or 15 months...

Will there be a fix to this??? Is it a Samsung problem??? Should I be contacting them???