Re: Disable wifi direct on Galaxy S8
HughMannity

Just... wow... you keep telling us how to turn wifi on and off. Its wifi DIRECT we need to disable. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We apologize for any confusion on our end, HughMannity. To clarify, Wi-Fi Direct is automatically enabled when Wi-Fi is turned on. Your device will only start scanning for nearby devices, when you tap on the Wi-Fi Direct tab. If your device Wi-Fi is turned off, Wi-Fi Direct would also be disabled. Does this offer further insight? MatthewI_VZW

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

That's the way it works on the S7. Turn wifi on and wifi direct turns on automatically. Manually turn off wifi direct and wifi also turns off. There is no way to disable wifi direct and have wifi stay on.

It appears that we can have our cake but not able to eat it.

0 Likes
Kelsadilla
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Galaxy Note 9 and I have the same problem. What Verizon is clearly not understanding is that we want to TURN IT OFF! It's really irritating to have it permanently on my notifications and there's no switch to toggle it off. So once you turn in on, you can never turn it off.

However I found a solution! I was so frustrated I went into system apps to uninstall it completely but first I tried force stop. IT WORKED. 

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend uninstalling the Wifi Direct system app.

I attempted to use it to transfer files but it doesn't work anyway so it's a useless eyesore.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kelsadilla, I'm glad to hear that you were able to disable Wi-Fi Direct. Based on the information you've shared, I recommend sharing your feedback with Samsung directly: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/

0 Likes
Chowell623

I believe the question was specifically how to turn off Wifi direct. Is there a way to turn off Wifi direct but still have regular Wifi on for other purposes?

I have the same question. When I'm using Wifi I don't want my phone constantly searching for other devices to share info/photos/documents with.

Thank you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely understand being able to protect your information on your phone is a huge deal. Wifi Direct cannot be disabled through the settings of the Samsung Galaxy S8 currently. However, your device should not be visible to other device while you are not in the Wifi Direct page. You may also want to go to Connections in the settings and disable Phone visibility.

ZakC_VZW

0 Likes