Did 6.01 update break the Weather App?
slthomas1

My S7 Edge updated the OS on Tuesday and now my Weather app keeps stopping with "Unfortunately, Weather has stopped." I have to hit "OK" to get rid of the dialogue box.

I've rebooted, wiped the cache, shut off Weather (it just starts up again), and it continues. I haven't seen any other reports of this happening.....is mine an isolated case?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Did 6.01 update break Weather App?
SCOLUP73
Enthusiast - Level 2

While troubleshooting this on my wife's Galaxy S7, I discovered there are TWO system weather apps.

Go into application manager, on the top right of the screen touch "More" and then select System Apps. Scroll down to Weather and you'll see there are two apps. Same version, same name. So apparently there is some conflict between them.

Anyhow, if you force stop both, clear the cache on both, the error should go away. For how long, I don't know. I just did it 10 minutes ago after the message was driving her nuts for weeks.

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

bearone21
Legend

are you using another weather program as default?

0 Likes
slthomas1

No,  I had WeatherBug installed but Weather was running all the time before the update. Immediately after the update it quit using current location even though it was selected. Eventually it just stopped altogether (last live update was 2 days old).

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

uninstall, re-install

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

slthomas1, I want to make sure that your phone is getting you the latest information on your local weather. Bearone21, has offered a pretty good troubleshooting step. I would also recommend on unintall the current weather app and then re-install it. Once it's re-installed please re-try and keep me posted of the outcome.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
slthomas1

Not aware of any way to uninstall an app that was installed when the phone was purchased...?

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Sometimes if you go into application manager / then tap on the app that you are having problems with and tap storage and clear data right from the app it self it should reset itself to where you will have to put the zip code back in  (this is for the weather app ) and works for most other single app trouble where you can't uninstall the app at least that is what I have found when an app does not respond right

0 Likes
GARKET88

Interesting, my s7 edge update 3 days ago went smoothly, then a few days later I started getting the weather app has stopped and you have to press OK to remove message. it keeps popping up randomly.   This is the weather app that comes with the phone.  Not able to deleat and install that app.  it stopped working on the 26th of this month. I was hoping it was a problem with weather server and it would start again on its own. no luck with that. Started searching for a solution and discovered this is a THING.  I have read many good solutions and have followed them all. rebooting and clearing cache, in weather app and the phones cache. Went into safe mode to see if it went away and pointing to an app I installed, again these had no effect. The only answer that looks like I'll be left with is a factory reset, but I'm drilling down looking for more answers and found you here asking the same question.  I'll keep looking for 5 or so days before full reset.  In that it seems that this can happen with any app, not just weather I would like to find the best solution to know what to do the next time without the Total Reset Solution.  I'll stop by again later and see if you have the golden key to all this. I really like the S7 Edge but I don't think I'll be much of a fan about living with this bug.  

0 Likes
GARKET88

Update, I've greatly affected my pop up message problem.  This is a work in progress but sharing this needs to get out so more folks can refine this.  I would get the message Weather was not working 20 plus times an hour. Since I've done this I have now not seen it  once happen on its own.  

Settings-Applications-then scroll down to the bottom of that page and select Weather.  Once I got into that next screen I basically turned everything off or to none or anything that looked like turning it off.   Then for a grin I rebooted the phone.  Then went back and reset all options, like update every hour, local location, everything back to what seemed normal.   Then I went back to settings-Application- and started with the first app in that short list and so on.  You will find that one maybe two of those apps have selectable options that also points to weather sharing, like calender for one.  Then I rebooted phone again.  I placed the weather (phone) app back onto my home screen and found that the date and time was now correct again and not 3 days off.  I did find that a few of the things I did made that message popup again, but I could get out b of it.  In that I've gone onto fixing my lost apps from earlier I have not seen my unusable message pop up yet.   I'll wait till tomorrow to check the weather out again, but even if it's not working, at this point I'm happy I'm not getting that message.  So if any of this makes sense and you can find a better way to make all this work for you and you have better results I'll be happy to read what you found.  I hope you all the luck I just found.  

0 Likes
slthomas1

Thanks, that one seemed to have promise but only pretended to work. It tries for about an hour to update, then crashed again. Now it's back to "stopped" again.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Likes