Details of Call Filter and Share Name ID
Truth-Be-Told
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello community.  Does anyone know how to have only my phone number and city and/or state display on a Verzion wireless phone I call rather than some version of my name?  I've read every article and FAQ I can find about Verizon's Call Filter, Call Filter Plus, and Share Name ID services without finding an answer.

I currently do not have and do not want Call Filter (Plus) or Share Name ID.  I have them disabled through the Verizon account options.  When I make a call to another Verizon wireless phone that also has Call Filter and Share Name ID disabled and does not have a contact saved in the phone for my number the phone displays my first name, middle initial, and last name.  I'm sure I've never even given Verizon my middle initial so I assume they horrid this information in from my credit pull during account setup.  I know I can press *67 to have my number show as restricted for one call and make all calls show as restricted through settings.  This is not what I need.  I've considered turning on Share Name ID because one of the options stated at the first link below is WIRELESS CALLER which says it will display the 10 digit mobile number.  The problems with this is that the Share Name ID FAQ (second link below) says "only calls to Verizon Call Filter Plus and landline Caller ID customers will see this name".  What will other Version customers and non Verizon customer see?  When caller ID became widely available and eventually included with wireless plans for free the basic features worked fine.  All Verizon needed to do was NOTHING.  However, Verizon, like many companies, think they must make continuous "improvements" to their services to generate new revenue streams which almost always results in features and functions I rely on being hopelessly broken.  

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-49073/

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/share-name-id-faqs/

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Details of Call Filter and Share Name ID
bearone21
Legend

maybe they got your middle initial from credit card.

0 Likes
Truth-Be-Told
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey VZ Community Managers - Can I please get some help on this issue?  Please don't send me off to another post that loosely relates to my problem but does not answer the questions.  Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

In order to proceed, please tell us - do you have a residential/landline?

StephannieP_VZW

0 Likes
Truth-Be-Told
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only VZ service I have is mobile phone - no land lines, internet, etc.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for this additional information, Truth-Be-Known. Let's continue to work on your concerns. Have you tried to uninstall and then re-install the Caller filter and Shared name ID feature on your device? When was the exact time this issue occurred? 

Thanks,  

EdwinL@VZWsupport

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Truth-Be-Told
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi EdwinL,

The Call Filter app is disabled on my phone and I am not enrolled in my VZ account.  I would completely remove it from my phone (S7) if I could but it's not an option.  I do not have the Share Name ID app and my account is not enrolled in it either.

Again, my goal is to keep my name from being displayed on the receiving end of calls I make (landline and mobile) unless the other end has my number stored as a contact.  Ideally people without my contact information stored would see some type of location identifier and my number like the case was for many years.  Share Name ID is not a solution because it only controls the displayed name in certain cases. Although I appreciate your reply, I can tell this is going to be a long road to nowhere.  If you learn of an actual solution or even an explanation for the behavior I would be interested to know more.  Thanks.

Anyone else know how it fix this dangerous loss of privacy?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can provide guidance through here. Under Profile, tap Edit Share Name ID, tap Customize Name, Enter the name you wish to display on outgoing calls, then Tap Submit.

KerryC_VZW

0 Likes
Truth-Be-Told
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi KerryC,

Are the instructions you provided for the myVerizon app?  I don't have that installed but would install it if you're sure it will provide a solution.  I don't see those menu choices on my account when logged in through the VZW website.  The closet thing I see is Account > Profile Settings but there is no mention of Share Name ID.  If the options are available through the VZW website, I'm guessing they are not showing on my account because I'm not enrolled in Share Name ID.

Per my original post,

"I currently do not have and do not want Call Filter (Plus) or Share Name ID.  I have them disabled through the Verizon account options.  ...  I've considered turning on Share Name ID because one of the options stated at the first link below is WIRELESS CALLER which says it will display the 10 digit mobile number.  The problems with this is that the Share Name ID FAQ (second link below) says "only calls to Verizon Call Filter Plus and landline Caller ID customers will see this name".  What will other Version customers and non Verizon customer see?"  

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-49073/

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/share-name-id-faqs/

As mentioned several times in this thread, I simply want things to work as they have in the past regarding caller ID.  Ideally people without my contact information stored would see some type of location identifier and my number like the case was for many years.  If I enroll in Share Name ID and make my name "Houston, TX" will "Houston, Texas" be displayed and my 10 digit phone number?  All of this worked fine for MANY years and would have been far better off if VZ left it alone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want the option that best fits your needs, Truth-Be-Told. You can edit your caller ID display name in the Verizon app as well. Follow the steps listed in https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-203652/. Enter Houston, TX and accept the Terms and conditions, then tap Update. This will appear along with your phone number going forward. Does this help?

TracyB_VZW

0 Likes