Delayed or NO notifications gmail or FB - Galaxy S7 Edge
Hogies

I have a Galaxy S7 Edge. I've had it since March 2016. It started as an intermittent issue which I attributed to bad connection issues, but it seemed to get progressively worse. The following is what i'm experiencing on this phone, and ONLY this phone, as well as a replacement phone of the exact same model.

I rarely receive email or facebook notifications, which are my most frequent used items on the phone. At random points, or unless manually synced, my emails will come pouring in at once, sometimes in the middle of the night, or in the morning. I will wake up and have 10+ emails which are timed back to early the previous day. This happens on 2 separate gmail accounts on my phone. 1 account is setup through Google Mobile Device Policy App for my work, and the other is the default gmail app on the phone that is setup with my personal gmail info. Both apps do the SAME thing. As far as Facebook goes, once in a while I get the birthday reminders, but I NEVER get notifications of wall postings or messages. Its quite irritating. I can go an entire day not knowing someone has messaged me via messenger, or missed an email while driving having customers irritated with me because I didnt know I had to go somewhere to fix something for them.

Now before you think, well maybe its just the Google MDM App that's causing the email issues, I have factory reset the phone and loaded JUST my personal gmail onto the phone, and still have the same issues IMMEDIATELY. All of the basic sync settings are CORRECT and set as they should be for email being pushed TO ME as they come in.

Between factory resetting my phone, phone calls to the beloved Verizon TIER 2 support (Which by the way got my google account locked from my device for 24 hours so I was without a phone for most of that time), and some calls/chats with Samsung directly, am just plain and sick of this issue and getting NOWHERE.

I threatened to take my business elsewhere, which I do not WANT to do, nor am I usually the type of person to get upset and throw a fit, but its effecting my JOB which I rely on emails to get my job done. A supervisor of the TIER 2 support told they had 2 options for me which were to pay to my 50% upgrade fee to get a new device, or pay off the device completely and upgrade. Both are very expensive options considering ive had a phone that has NOT been doing its job for me this long. (yes I've dealt with the tech support numerous times since I've had the phone and have gotten nowhere)

I stated I WOULD NOT pay the upgrade fee for my phone, nor buy it out. I don't feel that's fair to me as these are the only options offered outside of ANOTHER warranty replacement Galaxy S7 edge..... I may or may not be out of line here, but the frustration level is insanely high at this point. I want a different phone as I've PROVEN it works in a couple different cases.

It would be nice to have someone come in here, say "do this and that" and my phone will work.. But I doubt it. Factory resets, software repair on phone through PC, all settings checked a million times, and ANOTHER galaxy s7 edge from warranty.... I do understand the logic of it possibly NOT being the device hardware wise, but some sort of software issue, BUT, the fact is, it DOES NOT WORK. I am doing nothing outside the scope of this phone.

Pleasssssse help

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Delayed or NO notifications gmail or FB - Galaxy S7 Edge
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hogies, we can sense this GMail and FB notification issue has caused you some great frustration. I would feel the same way if my phone was impacting my job. We want you to have the best device experience possible. Based on all of the troubleshooting you've done, the chats with our technical support team and Samsung, the next best option would be the warranty replacement. In reading your comment, you stated that you are not going to purchase another device so the free replacement would be what we can offer. What is the reason you're hesistant to have us send you a warranty replacement?

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

have you selected notifications for both??

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hogies, we can sense this GMail and FB notification issue has caused you some great frustration. I would feel the same way if my phone was impacting my job. We want you to have the best device experience possible. Based on all of the troubleshooting you've done, the chats with our technical support team and Samsung, the next best option would be the warranty replacement. In reading your comment, you stated that you are not going to purchase another device so the free replacement would be what we can offer. What is the reason you're hesistant to have us send you a warranty replacement?

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Hogies

The reason for not getting another warranty replacement is because of 2 reasons:

1. I already got a warranty replacement S7E, which did the same thing, meaning another will most likely NOT fix it.

2. One of the tier 2 support agents ALSO told me that sending another phone would not fix my issue. He told me this after notes on the ticket stated I was ready to have another one sent to me. He stopped that and started more troubleshooting which at that point lead to my lockout I mentioned above.

I hope this helps explain more of my troubles with this whole scenario.

I personally do not believe it to be a phone hardware issue mainly because it just doesn't make sense. I also  have a hard time when OTHER phones I try work fine. Makes little to no sense.

0 Likes
bobbyjack
Contributor - Level 1

I don't think you need an app to set up personal email. What happens if you use a browser to go to the gmail login, and once gmail is open save that page to your home screen? You may need to delete the other accounts.

0 Likes
Hogies

Will this give me active notifications? What about my work email? Are you saying this is a permanent solution or just testing? I've only ever done this temporarily but not as a static option.

0 Likes
bobbyjack
Contributor - Level 1

Well, look at it this way. The way you set up email on both phones should have worked. It didn't. What I'm suggesting shouldn't work either. But it might. Not using an app to set up gmail cuts out any problems that might be introduced by the app, if any. I would delete the other accounts from the phone so gmail doesn't get confused.

I've also heard of folks going through 3 or 4 phones before they got one that worked. That was in the past. Things are better now, right?

No idea on your work email. Your company wants the security MDM affords. How do you get work emails on your home computer?

0 Likes
Hogies

I log in through VPN OR I do text authentication to get in from any browser. If this works, I dont know how I will feel if it works or not. I cannot do that as a permanent thing, i do know that. We'll see. I am still working with my local Verizon dealer. We will see.

0 Likes
bobbyjack
Contributor - Level 1

We are trying to see if you can get notifications under any circumstances. So to start with, no VPN. Browse to the Gmail sign in page( I use Chrome). After you have signed in, you can add the inbox(thereby all of gmail) to your home page. Tap on the three dots in the upper right (in Chrome) to see that option. That creates a link from the home page to you gmail account. You can now open Gmail from the link. If you get notifications the next step would be to use your VPN. It is standard troubleshooting procedure to strip down to the basic elements to find a problem. The problem could be any one of, or any combination of, the following:

1. Wireless connection

2. Data connection

3. Anti-virus software

4  VPN

5. You're not a lucky person Smiley Happy

6. I don't know what's on your phone, so it could be anything.

I have a smart watch hooked up to mine and notifications go to it a second before they pop up on the phone. Do you have anything like that hooked up through blue tooth that might interfere?

Is your SD card or phone memory almost full? Probably not since you reset it.

Does the phone seem sluggish at all? If so, it could be a sign that something is using resources.

Really grasping at straws, now.

0 Likes
Hogies

I have done this on and off WiFi, I have NO antivirus installed, and no VPN. I am apparently very unlucky. I have tried everything i've mentioned in above comments right from scratch, so therefore, NOTHING but default items on my phone. There is NOTHING that notifies of emails when i do what you mentioned with the shortcut to the email on my homepage.

0 Likes