Data use even on wi-fi
m_s_mom

Looks like data is being used even when connected to wi-fi.  This just started happening. This is on our home network & nothing has changed there. We tried re-booting but it is still happening.  This is on my son's s4.  We see the wi-fi icon but in between that & the connection bars we see the 4G grayed out.  When my S3 is connected to wi-fi we don't see the 4G.  Does that have something to do with it?  Any ideas what could be causing this?

0 Likes
Re: Data use even on wi-fi
m_s_mom

Looks like he just did a software update last night.  Would that have something to do with this?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

m's_mom, I understand your concern regarding the phone using data while connected to WIFI. You mentioned a software update was recently performed, did you notice this after the update was done or before? What is the software version on the phone? When the phone is connected to WIFI it overrides the data network, if the WIFI connection drops then the data network will kick in. At times this is a seamless process and the user is unaware that this is happening. What I am going to recommend is to turn off the data on the phone, this way if the WIFI connection drops your son will know and can reconnect.  To turn off the data go into settings, more networks, mobile networks, and turn off mobile data.

TionnaB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
m_s_mom

Hi-  this started happening after.  He sent me a screenshot of his system update history- updated to I545VRUGOF1 on 8/23 at 6:54pm & before that I545VRUGOC1 on 8/23 at 5:20pm.  Is this what you needed?  I just texted him & told him to try turning off the data & reconnecting.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
m's_mom,

Thank you. Yes, that is the information tha was needed. Please keep us posted on what happens after the data is turned off and he is connected to WIFI. What I am looking for is does the phone disconnect frequently? He should now be able to tell as he will get an error message if using data.

TionnaB_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
justdave72
Enthusiast - Level 3

I noticed this on my phone as well.  This started with the software update to I545VRUGOF1 that just came out this last week.  I can even disable mobile data via the button in the notification bar, and the 4G icon still doesn't turn off.  The only thing that makes it turn off is placing the phone in airplane mode (but that of course means I can't get phone calls either).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

justdave72, that's an important observation. When placing your device in airplane mode, it will disable all cellular connections which restrict you from placing/recieving calls and text messaging. Disabling Mobile Data will just turn your data access off when connecting to our network. However, your status bar will still confirm that you have 4G connection for placing calls and text messaging.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
justdave72
Enthusiast - Level 3

Normally he 4G is there but grayed out when I'm on wifi (to indicate that the connection is available but I'm not using it).  Since the update, it's actually been lit up white all the time, whether I'm on wifi or not, as if it's actually in use.

0 Likes
justdave72
Enthusiast - Level 3

And today it mysteriously started properly disabling the mobile data when the wifi was on.... no idea what changed.  But now the 4G icon is gray (available) instead of white (active) when the wifi is connected, just like it's supposed to be.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

justdave72,

That's great! Glad to hear that the display is functioning as it should. Either way, as long as that Mobile Data is off, you'll be in good shape when it comes to limiting that usage. We're happy everything's going well. Let us know if we can be of any further assistance int he future.

EricW_VZW

0 Likes