Can't text on wifi
laurcal2005

I am unable to send text messages through my home wifi. I can send them when I turn wifi off but then I can't use the Internet.

I have replaced the sim card and the phone. I have taken the battery out and messed with the settings. Nothing works!  Please help!

0 Likes
Re: Can't text on wifi
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nonpicture texts (SMS) travel over the phone connection; having the phone's wi-fi on or off shouldn't make a difference.

Picture texts (MMS) travel over mobile data and will not send/receive over wi-fi.  If you have both wi-fi and mobile data turned on, the phone should switch seamlessly, but sometimes some phones don't.  Some phones have settings in the wi-fi area of the phone that can be tweaked so that the switch occurs; others seem to have an issue for whatever reason and wi-fi has to be turned off.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I can send them when I turn wi-fi off but then I can't use the internet".

0 Likes
laurcal2005

Thank you for responding. If I turn wifi off then my text messages will send. The second problem is that if wifi is off and I try and access Facebook or the Internet I get a no connection error message.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm assuming you have a Galaxy S4 since that's the space you posted in and that you usually have both wi-fi and mobile data turned on?  If so, go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Menu > Advanced, then check Auto Network Switch.  That should ensure that the phone switches to mobile data whenever it needs to send/receive picture texts.

As far as Facebook and the internet go ... when you say that wi-fi is off, I'm again assuming you have mobile data on?  Is the data network set to CDMA/LTE rather than Global?  Will any other apps connect via mobile data?

0 Likes
laurcal2005

I do have the Galaxy s4. I also do have the Auto Network Switch set and changed the data network to CDMA/LTE. Neither has made a difference.

With wifi off I can do nothing but send texts. Anything that requires an Internet connection will not load or work.

I have spent endless time searching for a solution. Turning airplane mode on and off works long enough for me to resend the failed messages then stops working. Safe mode still won't allow me to send texts. As mentioned before verizon sent me a new phone and I had the sim card replaced in the store.

I thought maybe it was the router (it is a verizon router) but none of the other devices in the house are having issues and that still doesn't explain why the 4g isn't working.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you get a 3G or 4G signal when you're away from home?  It may be that the signal just isn't strong at your house.

0 Likes
laurcal2005

Yes I do. I was thinking the same thing but I have had the phone since December and this just started happening. I had an iPhone before and never had a problem with signal strength in my house. My Husband has an android phone and he has no issues with texting or connecting.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello laurcal2005!

Let's get you messaging again with no problem! Thanks to tikibar1 for your input, too!

You mentioned this just started. How recent was it? Are you using a 3rd party messaging application or the messaging application that came with the device?

Just to cover all of our bases, since you mentioned that you previously had an iPhone, please send a text message to 48369 and include the word STOP. Once that is done, please try again.

If you still have the issue, please complete a reset: http://vz.to/1tXwfyH 

Thanks,

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes