Can I use my device globally?
Not applicable

I have had my GS3 for about 18 months.  Rumors of global compatibility coming, going and being in one of the past updates have been just that - rumors.

I can't tell what is true and what isn't.

To make it more confusing, my GS3 used to indicate it was CDMA/GSM/HSPA/LTE and a bunch of other "initials".

Not any more.

Now it says "Verizon"   And  "LTE"

So if my phone is paid for and I move and port my number, can I go to ANY network type and carrier?   Including out of the USA?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Global use, unlocked phones and my "About" info changed?
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

All Verizon LTE phones are already unlocked.

You can use it on another GSM provider.  You may or may not get 4G service depending on the provider.

It does not matter whether or not the phone is "paid for".  It is unlocked out of the box.

As to your second post, none of that means that it is or isn't unlocked.

For Verizon, you would be better off it you set it to LTE/CDMA.  For GSM or UMTS carriers, you would set it to those.  In a mixed area, you could set it to Global.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

I just found another setting under 'Mobile networks" with 3 options

1   Global     ( which is what my phone is set to.  ??)

2    LTE/CDMA    

3    GSM/UMTS

Does this mean the phone might be unlocked to a GSM carrier in the USA?   

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

All Verizon LTE phones are already unlocked.

You can use it on another GSM provider.  You may or may not get 4G service depending on the provider.

It does not matter whether or not the phone is "paid for".  It is unlocked out of the box.

As to your second post, none of that means that it is or isn't unlocked.

For Verizon, you would be better off it you set it to LTE/CDMA.  For GSM or UMTS carriers, you would set it to those.  In a mixed area, you could set it to Global.

0 Likes