Can I use a smartphone without data?
tinkerreknit
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will soon get a new smartphone.  I want to give my Samsung Galaxy S4 (phone is mine, no contract) to my wife.  She only needs phone and messaging, and doesn't care about data for internet, etc.  Verizon support says I can't do this and I want to verify it.  I hope I was simply given erroneous information.  Also, if I can't do this I am curious as to why.  Wife has a phone and a plan now.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Use smartphone without data?
mama23dogs
Legend

Smartphones require a data plan.  Verizon doesn't allow a smartphone on a basic phone plan.

if you have a shared data plan, she can share your data.

As for why, because smartphones will still use data on any plan.  Rather than disable they just refuse to allow it.

ATT doesn't care.  Smartphones can use any plan, even pay per use.

View solution in original post

mama23dogs
Legend

Smartphones require a data plan.  Verizon doesn't allow a smartphone on a basic phone plan.

if you have a shared data plan, she can share your data.

As for why, because smartphones will still use data on any plan.  Rather than disable they just refuse to allow it.

ATT doesn't care.  Smartphones can use any plan, even pay per use.

tinkerreknit
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much for the help.  It makes some sense now.  I have the new unlimited plan, so I might look into the possibility of sharing that.  She has a very old, cheap plan that suits her and I only wanted to get her a better phone.  She has to constantly delete messages, and also I think she'd like a nice camera. 

mama23dogs
Legend

It's only $20 to add her to your plan and then she can actually enjoy using the phone.  Nice hand me down.

0 Likes
tinkerreknit
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again - you have helped me so much!  I suppose now there is not much holding me back.  I still like the S4 a lot, and the S8 is pretty large physically for front pocket carry.  Also, I'm not interested in the VR device that comes with the S8.  Guess I can sell it on eBay.  And, I really like user- replaceable batteries which isn't a feature of the S8.  I did read that the battery in it is some super-duper battery.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

LOL...  I'm a phone junkie.  Some girls it's jewelry, me, its smartphones.  I buy and sell them all the time.  The Samsung line has been a favorite, starting with the S3, then Note 3.  I had the GS6 and GS7.  These last 2 were not only very functional, but gorgeous to look at.  Your wife will have a hard time keeping her hands off the stunning S8.  I have sworn off carrier phones, but will no doubt be fondling the new phones at the Experience desk at Best Buy. 

Enjoy!

0 Likes
Grandpaof3Girls1Boy

And this is the reason neither my husband or I want the "upgrade." We have zero use for internet on our phones and being herded into something we do not want or desire is unacceptable. It's like, if its not broke don't fix it in our situation.

0 Likes