Calls from SPAM Numbers
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

Good morning all Smiley Happy

There has been a general uptick in questions regarding rogue numbers calling people's cell phones.  These numbers may be from multiple locations and/or may show up on caller ID as coming from the phone owner themselves.  While I can't say for absolute certain obviously,  many of these, I call them nuisance, calls are just that.  These are spammers that are dialing bulk numbers with the hopes of trying to get someone to pick up.

I understand the frustration.  I get upwards of 8-10 of these calls per day from various numbers both via call and text and as many as 4 or 5 of them literally only minutes apart by my block log.  I added a call blocking feature and now have over 238 numbers blocked including seven sets of numbers from the same area code and exchange (first 6 numbers are the same; only the last four change and often only by a single digit).  A check of the numbers indicates these are coming from across all carriers (reports indicate using possibly stolen or discarded SIM cards) and I doubt highly any of these numbers are actually legit; they are more than likely spoofed numbers.

The best thing to do, at least what I have found, is to use the call blocking capability, whether via an app or through the phone.  Give all of your valid contacts an actual name as these are usually not blocked by call blocking features.  Ignore or block any number you don't recognize, let it go to voicemail or hang up.  If it is someone who needs to get a hold of you they will leave a voicemail.  If the number is legit and one you may use again, add it to your contacts list.  You can always delete it later when the business is completed.

Treat any request to enter any private info, including phone number, bank account numbers, personal identifiable info like birthdate and SSN, as highly suspicious...never do it via phone; companies today specifically indicate they do not request the type of info over the phone if they are calling you.  If you have any suspicion, hang up (if actually talking to an alleged rep)  and contact the company directly on a known and listed/identified number to verify the request.

Be very, VERY, suspicious these days.  Spammers are bilking people out of a lot of money simply because people are generally trusting when they think they are talking to legitimate businesses.

Re: Calls from SPAM Numbers
bearone21
Legend

block 'em!!!

JAYVIN325
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wasn't happy that Verizon wanted $5 to block more than 5 numbers so this is what I did. Settings, Sounds and vibrations, turn on " do not disturb" . allow exceptions, custom, calls from contacts only. This is on a Samsung S6. Did the same on my wife's LG2 basicly, you just have to root around on your phone.

bearone21
Legend

the only problem with that is the contact may be calling from other than contact phone!!

0 Likes
JAYVIN325
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can set it up for repeat calls in a 15 minute period.  If it was an emergency and someone called 5 times in a short period of time it would ring through.