Bricked GS4
techfreek
Enthusiast - Level 2

Starting this morning my GS4 (No rooting, only have installed updates from verizon and apps from play store) stopped responding to button pushes. The first few times I could get it to work by pulling out the battery a few times, now I can't get the thing to turn on. No button combination works to power it on. Even Power+Vol up or Power+Vol down. It's been about 2 hours since it wanted to to work. Has anyone else run into this / have any idea what to try to fix it?

GS4 is running 4.3, has not had any troubles until this point. It does not have any water damage.

Re: Bricked GS4
Klue
Master - Level 1

Simultaneously press and hold the Power button+Volume up key+Home key. Release the Power button when the Phone vibrates. Continue to hold the Volume+Home key until the Android logo appears.  This will get you to the recovery screen.

Make sure you press the home key when you press power button and up keys.

techfreek
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just tried that (Held the key combo for over a minute) and nothing happened.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Is your battery dead? or do your know. Try a different S4 battery if you have access to one.  Try to power on with it plugged into wall outlet.

The 3 keystroke combo is the only way I know of to power up a phone into recovery mode.  Have you tried pulling the battery and leaving it out for 15 minutes?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

You may have to have a Rep at a store flash the phone if that is not available though and it's under the 14 day return Get ya new one.. b33

0 Likes
B33
Legend

As that was how you use to Reset the Droid X  Klue taking out the battery and then holding down on the power button battery out might just work on the GS4 b33

0 Likes
techfreek
Enthusiast - Level 2

Klue, I tried different batteries, and I tried when the phone was plugged in. In addition, I have also tried pulling out the battery for 15 minutes. I will be sure to try what B33 . said

0 Likes
techfreek
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's my last case scenario because the closest verizon store is an hour and a half away. I realize that may be my only option

0 Likes
techfreek
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE: Last night I was out with friends (this was ~6 hours after it stopped working) it suddenly decided to power back on as I was walking to my car. By the time I got out 10 minutes later, it was still on but no longer responding. After a couple more hours, it started working again and worked for a few hours. This morning it stopped responding again

0 Likes
j22333

At least yours turned on at some point.  Mine never did.  Had to get mine replaced.  Will be back to Apple once this contract runs out.

0 Likes