Bluetooth not working after Marshmallow update. Working solid before Marshmallow
LarryTesdall

Updated two different Samsung S5 to Marshmallow and both stopped working with the Bluetooth in our 2012 Honda Pilot.  It was rock solid before Marshmallow update.  Tried re-pairing, clearing cache on phone.  I need hands-free for driving!

Can I back up to the previous version?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Bluetooth not working after Marshmallow update. Working solid before Marshmallow
Dogluvr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was finally able to get the Bluetooth connection to work between my 2012 Honda Odyssey and my Samsung S5. I am not sure which of these troubleshooting activities actually resolved the problem, but I suspect it was the latter.

1) unpaired the connection between the car and phone bluetooth

2) reset Network Settings on the phone

3) repaired the connection between the car and phone bluetooth

4) as the connection was attempting to be made, I noticed a "Settings star" flickering on and off to the right of my HandsFreeLink text. I was finally able to click on it and set the Call audio and Media audio to ON and then set Allow Access to Contacts and phone log to ON. ==>> It would have certainly been easier to set the connection IF the "Settings" button had not continuously flickered on and off. I didn't even notice it the first half dozen times I tried to setup the connection.

yes - I can now view and use my phone contacts and make and receive calls.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Bluetooth not working after Marshmallow update. Working solid before Marshmallow
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LarryTesdall, we want to make sure that you remain safe while driving with hands free Bluetooth. OS Updates can change a multitude of things in the device. I would recommend reaching out to the car manufacturer to see if the Bluetooth system is compatible with the most recent OS Update on your device and if there is a work-a-round for this issue.

HarleyE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
DMZMAN
Contributor - Level 1

VZW TECH SUPPORT, take some responsibility and stop pointing the finger at other entities for a change.  All you're doing is making us angrier and insulting our intelligence.  Marshmallow Bluetooth doesn't work with all Honda and Acura automobiles including mine!  So please fix it !!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
DMZMAN
Contributor - Level 1

Just spoke with Honda/Acura Handsfreelink tech support.  They're getting inundated with calls from people running Marshmallow on Galaxy S5's, S6's, and S7's.  Whomever is responsible for this mayhem (whether it's Samsung, Google, and/or Verizon) had better get with it and issue a fix!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DMZMAN-

I also depend on my car bluetooth so I can understand your frustration. Is your phone's bluetooth able to connect but it does not work or does it not connect at all? Please describe the behavior.

CarmenT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DMZMAN
Contributor - Level 1

I can receive a call for the most part.  The problem is that if I call a number straight out of the phone, and then try to transfer the call to the car's BT, no luck.  Also, having a google number on my phone makes the situation even worse.  It asks me if I want to make the call with or without BT and the call disconnects no matter which option I select. Yet no matter which way I call, the BT randomly disconnects itself right in the middle of the call !

0 Likes
Dogluvr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was finally able to get the Bluetooth connection to work between my 2012 Honda Odyssey and my Samsung S5. I am not sure which of these troubleshooting activities actually resolved the problem, but I suspect it was the latter.

1) unpaired the connection between the car and phone bluetooth

2) reset Network Settings on the phone

3) repaired the connection between the car and phone bluetooth

4) as the connection was attempting to be made, I noticed a "Settings star" flickering on and off to the right of my HandsFreeLink text. I was finally able to click on it and set the Call audio and Media audio to ON and then set Allow Access to Contacts and phone log to ON. ==>> It would have certainly been easier to set the connection IF the "Settings" button had not continuously flickered on and off. I didn't even notice it the first half dozen times I tried to setup the connection.

yes - I can now view and use my phone contacts and make and receive calls.

0 Likes
Dogluvr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was finally able to establish and use the connection between my Samsung S5 phone and my 2012 Honda Odyssey bluetooth. I am not sure exactly which of the troubleshooting steps below worked, but I didn't get a connection until after the last one.

1) Unpaired the phone/car bluetooth connection.

2) Reset network settings on my phone

3) REpaired the phone/car bluetooth connection.

4) As the connection was being attempted, I noticed a "Settings" button flashing to the right of the HandsFreeLink entry. I was finally able to click on it (not easy to do because it just kept flashing on and off) and set all of the options for Calls, Media and Contacts behind it to ON.

==>> I probably would have been able to connect more easily if the "Settings" button had remained stable instead of flickering. It was not easy to see this option at all.

I am now able to use my phone contacts and make and receive phone calls via my odyssey bluetooth connection.

0 Likes