Bluetooth Issues with Flexsmart X3 Car Audio
Nlauggie
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have used a trusty Flexsmart X3 FM transmitter for years for both listening to music and hands free calling from my phone while driving.

The device has always paired automatically without issues to my previous Droid Charge and Galaxy S4, as well as a variety of friends' iPhones, whenever I turn my car on if the device was paired, and usually would start playing music automatically.

That was until I got my Galaxy S6. The device will initially pair with the phone and work as expected, but as soon as it loses its connection, whether because Bluetooth was turned off or the device was turned off, it will never reconnect with the device again. It fails to autoconnect, and if I try connecting manually, the phone tells me it has an "incorrect PIN or passcode". I have to manually go in and unpair the device from the phone, and then the phone from the device so that they both forger each other. I then pair the two again as a new bluetooth connection in order for it to connect. Obviously this is tedious and impractical for everyday use, and has thus effectively rendered my Flexsmart device worthless.

I have tried multiple steps to mend this issue, including resetting the phone, clearing the Bluetooth cache and data, and using 3rd party Bluetooth apps like Bluetooth Connect and Play. Nothing seems to help.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with their S6 on a Flexsmart or other Bluetooth device? If so, has anyone found an acceptable solution? I have yet to try out Bluetooth with my S6 on other devices that support media and calls (like many speakers) but this makes me hesitant to buy any if this is a widespread S6 issue.

I appreciate any help or feedback!

Re: Bluetooth Issues with Flexsmart X3 Car Audio
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Do you have Advanced Calling disabled on your phone prior to pairing it with the Bluetooth device?

Settings>Advanced Calling

Does your Bluetooth device have a memory and X amount of devices that it can remember and connect to? Are you able to reset the Bluetooth device in order to store new connections with it?

0 Likes
Nlauggie
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did have Advanced Calling enabled, although I'm not sure why this would affect the Bluetooth connection. Alas, I tried disabling it, deleting the bluetooth data and cache, restarting the phone, and then pairing again like new, and still encountered the same issues.

The Flexsmart device will only keep 1 phone in memory at a time, so you have to reset it's Bluetooth connection to connect a new phone. I have had to reset it every time I use it and pair like a new device to get the S6 to connect.

I suspect it may be a bug with how the S6 handles PIN codes/passcodes for Bluetooth devices that don't have them in order to pair. This is the error message I've received, and I could see it happening with this device as there is no PIN or passcode required to pair with the device in the first place.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I'm not entire sure exactly which FlexSmart you're trying to connect, but have you looked up your model and found if you can update it's firmware? Sometimes it's that the device is older and the phone is newer and it causes problems.

Advanced calling was just a suggestion, it affects headphone devices while making calls, and while you're not making calls it was just a stretch.

0 Likes