Bluetooth Connection and Audio Problems
denisekk

I've had my S4 for 5 days and I have to say I am incredibly disappointed with the Bluetooth thus far.  I'm not sure if it's related to the update to 4.3 since that happened on day 2 and I hadn't had enough time to use it to see if there was a difference but here's my issue:

Bluetooth will not automatically connect to the car. I get in the car, turn BT on in the phone, up pops the connection showing paired devices, it shows my car, it shows that it's paired, it says it connects but the car says there are no devices.  Sometimes if I tap it 3-5 times it will finally actually connect, but usually I have to go into the paired device settings and re-check call audio and media audio options.  This also takes multiple taps before it will show checkmarks in the boxes.  Why do I have to do this every time?  Why can't the settings be saved like a normal device?    I even tried deleting it from the car and re-pairing to no avail.  I had my Thunderbolt for two years and never had a problem. I would get into the car, turn on bluetooth, it would instantly connect (without me having to do anything) and I was good to go.

Second problem is, when I do finally connect to the car and play music stored on the device, the audio drops in and out repeatedly.  I have yet to get thru a song in it's entirety.  When I stream Slacker however, the audio doesn't seem to drop in and out.

Bluetooth isn't new technology.  I'm just shocked that this problem exists on a brand new phone.  The fact that I gave up my unlimited data plan for this phone is really starting to bum me out.  I thought I was upgrading from my Thunderbolt, not downgrading. Contemplating returning it.

0 Likes
Re: Bluetooth Connection and Audio Problems
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi denisekk - With todays handsfree laws it is important to have Bluetooth conveniently available! May I ask what type of car do you have? Are other devices pairing as normal to this same car kit? Are you able to connect the device freely with other Bluetooth accessories?

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
denisekk

I have a 2011 Subaru Impreza and I did check the Subaru website and they state the S4 will connect to their system.  In my initial comment you'll see I mention that my Thunderbolt connected to the car without issue.  I don't have any other bluetooth accessories to pair it to to test.  I see that others are having bluetooth issues as well in this forum and other forums....is it related to the recent 4.3 update?  Bluetooth should work seamlessly out of the box.  I almost threw the phone out the window today when it wouldn't connect so I could listen to music.  The last thing I should be doing while driving is having to tap my phone 15 times for it to make a simple connection.  Is a patch coming or can I downgrade to 4.2?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there denisekk!

Thank you so much for the additional details. We definitely don't want you to toss your phone and we want to figure this out. I also see that Subaru states the phone is compatible. Have you had the opportunity to completely remove the paired devices from your Subaru as well as from the Galaxy S 4 and restart the pairing process? Here's how to setup bluetooth from your phone: http://vz.to/1hLnZgS

Please keep me posted!

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
denisekk

Hi Melissa,

You will see in my original post that I already deleted and re-paired the device to no avail.  When is Verizon going to admit there is a problem with the software rather than asking your users to jump through hoops to get their brand new phones to work as they are supposed to out of the box?

Denise

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for clearing that up Denisekk
I appreciate all the troubleshooting you've done! It may be the device. Let's make sure there isn't an application causing this. Please back up the device then try this and retest:http://vz.to/1bezDwx

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
LarryDavid

I am having the exact same problem, we have done the hard reset twice and the same problem occurs.   Verizon needs to fix this issue, let's not blame Andrioid, we pay Verizon for this device... so please do something about it other than asking all customers to "reboot"!!!   This did work until the 4.3 Android update.

0 Likes
denisekk

I would love to know what applications Verizon thinks would interfere with a phone's ability to run bluetooth correctly. Twitter? Words with Friends?  This heavy handed approach, asking users to reset their brand new phones to factory defaults, is unacceptable, especially when you have hundreds or thousands of users experiencing the same issue.  Besides, why would you ask a user to reset their phone to factory defaults, losing all their data and apps instead of just booting into safe mode which would do the same thing minus the data loss (I've tried this as well so it's clearly not any errant apps).  The only difference would be that the hard reset brings me back to 4.2...at least temporarily until the phone updates again. So it seems to me that Verizon knows there are issues with the 4.3 update and rather than just admit it and fix it they are asking users to jump through hoops to confirm something they already know. 

0 Likes
LarryDavid

Thanks for your reply.   I am definitely regretting switching to Verizon from Sprint.  While Sprint didn't have the best coverage, I don't recall having issues with my last Android phone which was a Motorola.  Hopefully either Verizon or Google will provide some type of update for Android!  Happy Holidays!

0 Likes
JoeMikeKnight
Contributor - Level 1

This seems to be a known issue wish the first 4.2 to 4.3 update.  It was working flawless for me until that was done. Keeps freezing for about 20 seconds and briefly says disconnected on my bluetooth enabled car stereo.  I was just going to call Verizon before I got my MK2 update.  Still having issues. I'm afraid to call Verizon because I can't stand when providers are not up to par with known issues and are totally confused.  Maybe it will get fixed in the next forever update. Do any of you have the MK2 update?  Any improvements?

0 Likes