Battery life issues on 5.01
pjwalter
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has anyone else had drastically decreased battery life since the update?  After the update I factory reset my phone and only installed a handful of apps yet left unplugged the battery completely drains within a few hours with limited use.  Yesterday my battery went from full to dead 4 times over the course of the day.  I hope Verizon can sort this out.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Battery life issues on 5.01
Blazer4777
Enthusiast - Level 2

To reiterate, go get a new one. After reading your replies, I see that you haven't tried that yet. I had the same issue with my s4 a few months ago. Exact same symptoms. I don't think lollipop has anything to do with why your phone won't stay powered on. It's a physical issue. The battery is losing connection inside of the battery itself.

Just replace it.

View solution in original post

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
pjwalter, you've completed the next best steps to resolve this battery issue. We're stepping in to check a few more things that can improve your battery life. Click http://vz.to/19Mkc1W and follow our troubleshooting guide. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
pjwalter
Enthusiast - Level 3

I followed all the instructions on the link provided and it is still a problem.. What I am noticing is that the battery seems to go from around 60 to zero in a moment.. When I reboot the phone starts but gives critical battery warning and then shuts down again.. I restart again and the battery is fine.. This did not happen on 4.4.4.. The phone is no longer reliable as I never know when it's just going to power down.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
pjwalter,

That certainly isn't the experience we want you to have with your phone! It's important that you have a phone that works like it should. Let's make sure we figure this out. Can you try the phone for a few hours in safe mode? http://vz.to/1IrXmrR Does it have the same issues?

AndrewT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
pjwalter
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did try the phone in safe mode for a few hours and it did not shut down.  Part of the problem is though that I didn't use the phone that much because most of the apps I use were unavailable in safe mode.  I have determined that it is not a battery drain issue.  The phone will randomly shut down.  When I restart it will immediately shuts down again right after booting up.  I then have to try four or five times of rebooting in order for it to stay booted.  I have now done 2 factory resets on my phone and only installed a minimum number of apps, mostly google apps.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
pjwalter,

That's good to hear! Thanks for giving that a try. Safe Mode would be a diagnostic setting that would only allow the essential software to run and prevent any third party software from running to determine if the issues are caused by applications. If the device was not experiencing the same issue while plugged in, that would mean there may be applications installed causing our troubles. In this case we would recommend uninstalling any recent applications and keeping an eye on it to see if the issues persist. If unable to isolate the specific application, we can attempt to reset the device to factory defaults to clear all unnecessary applications or data that could be causing trouble. Prior to resetting the device we'll want to make sure your data is saved. Our Verizon Cloud application can help. See how here http://spr.ly/65887HL4. Take a look here to see how to reset the device http://spr.ly/65897HLf.

AdamG_VZW
0 Likes
pjwalter
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I've now had a few more days to view the habits of my phone after the lollipop update. Here is what happens:

At some point once the battery is below 50% it will randomly shut off.  Every time I try to restart it it will boot up and then within seconds of the lockscreen appearing, will shut down again.  It simply will not boot up and stay on.  The only way to rectify this is to plug the phone in and then reboot.  Then it is fine.  The battery is not dead though cause whenever I plug it back in the screen will come on briefly showing a green battery.  This past time it still said 46%.  The only way I can get the phone to boot back up and stay on is to plug it in, boot it up and then unplug it again.  This is beyond frustrating as I can no longer rely on the phone.  I have tried everything asked of me by technical support.  I have done 2 factory resets, I've removed all the 3rd party apps and I've run the phone in safe mode.  All to no avail.  In looking through this forum it seems that many many people are having a problem with this update.  Google has acknowledged that there are bugs in this version of android.  When can we expect an upgrade to 5.1.  This phone is no longer reliable and I cannot upgrade my phone until August.  This phone worked perfectly fine prior to the lollipop update.

0 Likes
Blazer4777
Enthusiast - Level 2

You need a new battery. Yours has an internal short. Just go get a new one. Obviously lollipop is more sensitive to those issues than kitkat was.

0 Likes
Blazer4777
Enthusiast - Level 2

To reiterate, go get a new one. After reading your replies, I see that you haven't tried that yet. I had the same issue with my s4 a few months ago. Exact same symptoms. I don't think lollipop has anything to do with why your phone won't stay powered on. It's a physical issue. The battery is losing connection inside of the battery itself.

Just replace it.