Battery drain/charging issues, not sending texts, and no 4g network after system update?
cwelch1098
Enthusiast - Level 1

After doing the latest update, my battery drains only after about an hour of use. Sometimes, it just shut off with well over 50% battery life left. Most of my text messages have to be resent numerous times. I also am experiencing a loss of 4G network in areas where I've always had it. There have been times where I completely lose service all together and won't regain it until several minutes later.

Am I the only one experiencing these issues?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Battery drain/charging issues, not sending texts, and no 4g network after system update?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

JohnKelly wrote:

SOLUTION (sort of)

I spent hours talking with Samsung support. My problems were nearly all battery related. We did a Factory data reset but it did nothing. Quite soon I found I was having the same battery problem. The tech at Samsung thought I had a bad motherboard.

I tried a factory reset again. This time I did it differently.....AFTER it reloaded MY APPS from Google play I  removed all non-Google apps.

After this the phone worked flawlessly. There was 70% battery left at 8pm at night, itmakes me think non-google apps are to blame. Over the next week or two I will load one a day. This should allow me to isolate the battery hogging app.

Hope this helps!

You could have completed the factory reset without restoring the settings and applications for a similar results to removing the non-google applications after reloading/restoring during the factory reset.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Battery drain/charging issues, not sending texts, and no 4g network after system update?
BigRedGonzo
Contributor - Level 1

No, you aren't the only one.  I have seen quite a few people that have had issues after the update, fortunately most of the issues that I have read about were resolvable.  The first thing I would try, if I were you, would be to clear the cache from the recovery menu.  If that doesn't work, then try a Factory Reset, also from the Recovery Menu.  I have seen quite a few people post about issues after the update and the issues vary very widely across the board, but the two suggestions above have seemed to correct about 90% or better of the issues.  That, of course, is just a guess.

Good Luck,

BigRedGonzo

0 Likes
Scoobyshack
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the problems too and have done all the things suggested including Factory Data Reset (painful).  None of them have helped and I still have only about 4 hours battery life since update.  Curious, BigRedGonzo, I have read the forums and have not seen one person come back and say "problem solved".  Who are these 90 percent people you refer to?

lynna0224
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having the same problem with text messages not sending..  CONSTANTLY - Also Battery going dead much faster...  Help!

Bonstance
Enthusiast - Level 2

My battery is draining too.  The icon for the battery life is changed post update (looks more archaic to me).  I was also not able to send any text messages (using Messaging or Hangouts).  Those were the only issues I had found so far since the update.  I did just shut off the phone for a few minutes and now that I have powered it back on, texting seems to be working.  Still sucky battery drain though.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know it's important to get the most out of your battery life Bonstance! How long are you getting out of a full charge? Tried a full charge with the device powered off? What model is this? The S4 or S4 mini?

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Skyke101
Enthusiast - Level 3

(removed) trying to make it seem like Verizon is not responsible for all the problems that the KitKat update has caused

Edited as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Skyke101
Enthusiast - Level 3

Join the club Cwelch. The KitKat update, which is irreversible, has pretty much renderred cell phones useless if you happen to live at the edges of their cell phone tower coverage. Everyone that used to have ok to good service now has very bad to none. What is verizon going to do about it? Nothing, they will still get paid either way. And there is no way that your phone can go back to how well it worked before they pushed out the KitKat update. Depending on how bad you need to use your phone, the only thing you can really do to be able to send texts and surf the net on your phone would be to get closer to the nearest cell tower or switch to another carrier, such as ATT or Tmobile. (removed)

Edited as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
unhappykitkat

No they do not factory reset does nothing except wast time and force you to reconfigure your phone, this update was a giant pile of you know what that turned my perfectly good phone into a steaming pile of the same. And resetting the settings does nothing either except force you to re-add all your settings When are they going to issue a patch for the patch that was designed only to stop a few people from rooting their phones yet punished everyone else.

0 Likes
rascalz98
Enthusiast - Level 1

No, you are not alone.

0 Likes