Battery drain - Android System
Corytopanga
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've spent hours on the phone with both verizon and Samsung customer service, both who blame each other for the battery drain on these phones.

There is an issue where android system and android os dominate battery usage. Go and look for yourself. These items take up 30%+ on all US versions of this phone. It should be under 10% for a normal user of any other phone. There is something wrong w the way the Snapdragon processor communicates with this version of Marshmallow. I know it's the processor because the European version of the phone, which runs a exynos, shows normal android system and os usage.

Verizon,  please acknowledge the issue instead of acting like it's the first time you're hearing it. There's a long thread on xda about the battery drain as a result of the high system usage. Literally pick up ANY U.S. S7 or S7e, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Marshmallow never should've been pushed to Samsung devices (btw, Galaxy Note 5 users, who just got the M update, are experiencing the exact same issue due to snapdragon.)

Can a verizon rep respond and confirm you know this is a major issue that is being addressed?

Re: Battery drain - Android System
LastKnown20
Enthusiast - Level 2

DITTO from me.

I'd recommend that people avoid this model for the time being.  Last night between 11 PM and 5 AM there was a 24% battery drop with the phone just laying on my table.   My current stats show I have 31% share of the usage from Android System and 23% from Android OS yet my battery life is only 9 to 10 hours (and I'm not using the phone very much). That's really bad for a 3000 mAh battery.

jssuh
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem here. I fully charged phone last night at 12:30am. and today morning (8:30am) the battery went down to 72%. that's over 3% drop per hour. and I never turned on and there were no background apps running. I think there must be something wrong the firmware handling standby power consumption.

Leahx1127
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hmmm, must be a bug as I am experiencing the complete opposite. I charged my phone this morning after the battery had been on for 22 hrs with 9% battery left. I would say that I used the phone moderately though, games, email, Facebook etc. I do notice that the android system is always hovering around 25% of the battery usage.

Corytopanga
Enthusiast - Level 1

Right.  That's the issue.  Android system should be hovering around 3-5%.  It's keeping the phone awake on the Snapdragon chip version of the phone (US models).  The European version with Exynos chip works fine and gets much stronger battery life.   The issue is that everyone I talk to from Verizon to Samsung says nobody has reported the issue, even though every single Samsung US phone upgraded to Marshmallow with the SD820 processor has this issue.  I still got decent battery life even with the android system issue, but it would be significantly better if my phone wasn't constantly staying awake.

Someone from Verizon/Samsung/Google needs to acknowledge this problem and promise a fix.  It seems impossible to get to the software engineer people who actually fix these problems at the kernel level.  I agree with the previous poster... it's not worth buying this phone until the bug is fixed.

Jenthegreatkb

Same issue s7 edge

0 Likes
jssuh
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK. I experimented last night by turning AOD(Always-On Display) and Wifi off. and it stopped the battery drain.

I check with battery and CPU usage monitoring app. I don't know which one was causing battery drainage, probably Wi-Fi. I think Samsung did not test their S7 enough with this Qualcomm Snapdragon AP (this one chip has everything  in one such as CPU, GPU, 3G,4G,Wifi,Bluetooth,Battery Management, etc.,). Only USA and China versions have Snapdragon AP , all other countries' version uses Samsung Exynos AP.

Hopefully they will fix this problem by releasing firmware update.

0 Likes
tlake84
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tmobile has this fixed in their latest update, they also report a nice jump in battery as well! Along with touch sensitivity issues as well as slow motion video recording.

0 Likes
mgt92cobra

Has this been fixed? I am around 20% on my phone for the android system and 20% for standby. I have wiped the cache reinstalled but still the same issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mgt92cobra, we appreciate your efforts thus far. You've completed a few great steps to resolve this issue. However, we're stepping in to help. The battery life on your phone is based on the average usage on your phone. Have you recently downloaded any new applications or downloaded a new application?

Let's see what's utilizing your battery life in Settings>Battery.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes