Battery Dying Very Quickly
Mbweiss

In the past week my Samsung Galaxy S3 has been dying very rapidly. Before this started my battery would last the entire day. Beginning about a week ago I noticed that after a complete charge my battery will drain to 40% or 50% after just one hour and I am not even using it but for maybe 5 minutes during that hour. The battery continues to drain very quickly so I am constantly having to charge it during the middle of the day. I also noticed that if I am using it while it is charging the battery life will not increase, whereas before it would. Also, when the battery level gets low the message to plug in your charger appears, but when I hit "okay" the message just keeps reappearing over and over. Before it would just appear every few minutes or so. I did a cache wipe a few days ago which seemed to improve it for a day, but all the issues are reappearing.

Any ideas on what I should do?

0 Likes
Re: Battery Dying Very Quickly
Android_Optimizer
Contributor - Level 2

Have you recently downloaded an update for the Android OS from Verizon that may have started the battery drain? Have you installed any battery monitoring apps (like GSam) to see what is detected as using up most of the battery? If you find out what's draining the majority of the battery you may be able to force stop and clear cache on the problem app.

If your phone has a Fastboot feature have you tried disabling it, and then shutting the phone off for a short period of time?

Are you trying to charge with the phone on? (something running at the same time may be sucking up the same amount of power as what the charger is trying to charge). Try shutting your phone down and let it complete charge while its off.

0 Likes
Mbweiss

No, I have not recently downloaded a software update.

I haven't installed a battery monitoring app, but I will do that. I also haven't tried a Fastboot. The only thing I did was the cache wipe.

Yes, I have always kept my phone when it is charging overnight.

Something I forgot to mention was that this morning my phone said the battery was fully charged, but when I unplugged it my phone said the battery was only like 40% and then a few seconds later it adjusted to say 100%.

0 Likes
Android_Optimizer
Contributor - Level 2

There have been reports of the s3 battery charge not being detected correctly, and it stopping its charge when it thinks its at 100% even if it isn't. (However it was said to be happening with International versions as opposed to US versions). Someone reported that Samsungs website recommend turning off power saving, rebooting the phone, and then charging the phone to get it to report correctly. Don't know if that will work or not, but you could try it. If you haven't already looked up battery issues on the Samgsung website give that a try.

Samsung

From the webpage linked pick Cell Phones, and then select your model number in the window that opens.