Auto-brightness is too low/bad battery drain after Lollipop 5.0 upgrade
kingpin68
Enthusiast - Level 2

After performing the upgrade yesterday, the auto-brightness is way too low and my battery is draining MUCH faster than normal

Re: Auto-brightness is too low/bad battery drain after Lollipop 5.0 upgrade
Snn5
Legend

As far as the battery goes, it can take several days for the system to relearn parameters according to use.  After a few charging cycles and a few days, you should return to normal.  If not, a factory reset is advised, especially if you see other problems after this major update. 

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

oh really, where's that in print, I did 5.0 two days ago & my battery ;life is the same.

0 Likes
kingpin68
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why is the auto-brightness now different.  I haven't changed it and now the auto is way too low to see anything.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

As you may or may not know, many changes take place to each users system as a whole.  Each user has different apps and setups.  This is true for people who mod or people that have a reflashed or stock phone.  This happens straight out of the box as well.  There is no absolute in life nor technology and each situation is different.  This is even true when using a phone normally.  I myself have seen, for instance, my XT912, GNEX, and LG G2 having these issues.  It didn't matter what type of battery I had.  Right out of the box battery life was not nearly as long as the reported manufacturer specs.  Each time I reset the device to factory settings and add or remove certain apps, I can tell a difference for a few days until I complete a few charge/discharge cycles and other apps settle into their routine.  This also allows the system to reset its battery statistics for more accurate reporting.  IDK how else to explain to you better other than to use my own example, across several devices.  I will say that you have been fortunate in this regard versus others with battery life problems after their 5.0 update.  You may also see other posts, recently, referring to random reboots, volume levels, calling issues and etc...  With multiple issues it is sometimes advised to factory reset.  So, suffice to say, it isn't the same for everyone.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

kingpin68 wrote:

Why is the auto-brightness now different.  I haven't changed it and now the auto is way too low to see anything.

I don't know WHY it's different, but I can verify that the auto-brightness setting is quite dim.  I'm tempted to turn it off as there are times when I literally cannot see what's on the screen.

0 Likes
Cybergoobr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same issue with crazy battery drain. However my issue was fixed when I updated my security app. I was using Lookout which they admitted to having a battery drain issue. Now that the app is updated, my battery life is almost back to normal. I can typically go 36hours with light use, before need to charge again.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I believe the new way it works is completely different than the way it was before. I am unsure if Samsung made any changes.

On stock Android it is dependent on what your setting is at. If you have it at 50% that is your max. If you have it at 20% that is your max and it scales based on what your max is.

Your battery life may be affect by the memory bug. 5.1 is supposed to address the issue.

0 Likes
burddawg

my battery life is horrible after the update, I could typically drive to work with GPS and Maps running (Checking traffic conditions - I know how to get to work Smiley Happy)  with it plugged into a charger and be at 100% upon getting to work.  Today after the update, I arrived at 87%, 10-20 mins later after sending/receiving 3 text messages (TURNED off GPS and MAPS) my battery is down to 75%.  What a joke.  Very disappointed in the crazy drain. 

0 Likes
kingpin68
Enthusiast - Level 2

I actually went and did a factory reset and it improved everything immensely.  Battery life is crazy good again.