Anyone else having an individual message response (to a group chat) sent to all in the group?
TMPruitt

I have a new Samsung Galaxy S III and noticed right off in Messaging that when I receive an email sent to multiple recipients, the default tab for response is Group conversation.  I changed it to default to Individual messages because my preference is to reply only to the sender.  However, I was surprised to learn that my individual messages are being received by all who received the initial group chat.  This was not the case with my Charge and I can't find any corrective action I can take to prevent it and it is very annoying.  Thanks for sharing similar experiences, especially if you have figured out how to fix it.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone else having an individual message response (to a group chat) sent to all in the group?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TMPruitt,

Awesome inquiry. And hey, it's always better to be safe than sorry when receiving a group message and wanting to only send it to one recipient as opposed to the whole group. Additionally, it's odd that when you select "individual message" that it's going to the group. To remedy the issue, please go to settings > app manager > all > messaging > clear data. Then give it a test and share results.

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Anyone else having an individual message response (to a group chat) sent to all in the group?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Only do this if you are ok with losing all of your messages.  You may want to look into a backup app first.

TMPruitt

I wasn't able to find a backup app so I went ahead and lost all of my messages in order to test the recommended setting but I am still seeing the same results.  I send an individual message to the sender of a group chat and it goes to all recipients (iphones and other samsungs).  The only way around it is to exit the thread and reply individually to the sender.

0 Likes
brigetterad
Contributor - Level 1

Did Verizon customer service ever fix this issue?  I've had this problem for months.  If i TRY to reply under group message it will not send. The little blue circle just goes round and round until i delete it and start a new message to reply to the sender. WAY too time consuming. 

0 Likes
TMPruitt

Hi -- no one has offered a fix to the problem.  I posted a single post for multiple friends with the samsung s3 and who are experiencing the same annoying flawed behavior when responding individually to a group chat.  I believe your problem is a bit different but a problem with messaging which seems to indicate a bigger problem with the app and the fact that it is not reliable for its intended purpose.  I still want to be able to send an individual message to the originator of a group chat and I want it to ONLY go to the one who originated the group chat.  I do not want it going to everyone in the group but that is what happens and no setting or resetting that I've tried has corrected the problem.   Thanks for asking.

0 Likes