Any way to prevent Android 4.1.2 update to 4.3 on Galaxy S3?
hollajamer
Enthusiast - Level 2

After spending countless hours researching this (and speaking with Verizon & Samsung reps),here's my dilemma:

After the automatic upgrade from 4.1.2 to Android 4.3, my "phone info app" no longer worked, which did not allow me to manually select "CDMA Only" on my SCH-I535 Galaxy S3. I need CDMA only due to one bar signal level of 4G/LTE in my area. The signal strength was fine when I selected CDMA Only.

Verizon sent me a new S3 with 4.1.2 installed, but when I booted up, it automatically downloaded 4.3, and all I can do is delay the install. I talked to a Samsung tech and told me the most you can delay is 7 times, then it automatically updates.

Does anyone have a proven procedure (root or no root) that would allow me to prevent 4.3 installation after downloading? Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any way to prevent Android 4.1.2 update to 4.3 on Galaxy S3?
hollajamer
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Verizon Service doesn't allow turning off automatic OTA downloads (without rooting). The only option is to delay the install, get prompted, and delay again (max 7 times). If there is a way, I would love to know.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

didn't you have a choice of whether or not to dl 4.3, i did? i'm not sure why yours did an auto dl.

0 Likes
hollajamer
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Verizon Service doesn't allow turning off automatic OTA downloads (without rooting). The only option is to delay the install, get prompted, and delay again (max 7 times). If there is a way, I would love to know.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

mine probably doesn't either but i checked for the update, after seeing here that it was getting to some phones back in nov. it was there, just needed to start the process & it took 20 min to dl (i posted that info here) & another 16 min to reboot/install. it seems to me that i could've delayed in saying "ok" for the download to start, not the install part.

0 Likes