Any ideas where I can change the settings for S6?
petey5

With the new update for S6, the update shows the screen for the USB notification and it appears you can click on any of the radio buttons to determine how you want to use the USB connection.  I attempted to change from charging to transfer files but as soon as I click on it, the box disappears and I can't find where to change to setting so I can transfer files to my computer.  Any ideas for me of how or where I can change the settings.  I never had this problem prior to the update

0 Likes
Re: Any ideas where I can change the settings for S6?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi petey5!

Let's get everything backed up on your phone, so you have peace of mind. I'd like to ask a couple of questions and provide you with some information. Different USB cords do different tasks, and some are only able to charge the device. Some have the capability to complete USB mass storage transfer. Are you using the USB cord that the device came with, or a different one?

ChristinaB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

With Marshmallow, when you plug in the USB cable, the default is charging only.  Once you plug in the USB cable, you should see two notifications in the notification panel, one that says Charging (with the % charge and time remaining to full charge) and one that says Connected for Charging.  Tap the one that says Connected for Charging and it should take you to a pop-up where you can choose your preferred USB mode.

0 Likes
petey5

It is with the cable that came with the phone.

0 Likes
petey5

I do bring up the pop up to choose but as soon as I touch the screen to change it, it disappears and will not let me change the reason for the USB connection

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

petey5 wrote:

I do bring up the pop up to choose but as soon as I touch the screen to change it, it disappears

That's how it works; once you see the pop-up with "Use USB for" at the top and then you tap the desired USB connection (i.e., Transferring Media Files), the pop-up then disappears and your computer should recognize that the phone's connected.  If you don't think you tapped the correct selection, just slide the notification shade down again and tap the notification again (if the change didn't occur, it'll still say Connected for Charging; if you changed it to Transferring Media Files, it'll say Connected as a Media Device).

If the notification totally disappears, you might try using a different USB port (or just unplugging the phone and plugging it back in should correct it).

0 Likes
petey5

Thanks for the information but once I hit the popup it completely disappears so I can't pull the shade down to hit another choice.  I have to unplug the phone and do it again. 

0 Likes