Another Android 4.3 Loss-MY NAVIGATOR
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

I am beyond torqued.  One of the main reasons I got the smart phone and pay the exorbitant rate for the obligatory data plan, was the particular navigator that comes with the phone.

I have protected it from other updates by turning off all automatic updates to this phone, it disappeared so many times!

This latest update, on top of all the crap it loaded INTO my phone that I don't want, need, and won't use, on top of the stuff it erased and caused me to have to set personal stuff up again, (not to mention the battery issues),       ERASED MY NAVIGATOR.

It was so easy to use...one touch on the icon, I could tell it where I wanted to go, and it would immediately get to work on my route.

VZ Navigator is ****p.  Google maps is impossible.

GIVE ME A NEW PHONE AND GIVE ME BACK 4.1.2.

0 Likes
Re: Another Android 4.3 Loss-MY NAVIGATOR
bearone21
Legend

download vz navigator from the play store.

BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the reply, but I don't like VZ Navigator.  It is already in my phone but it is not as nice as the Google Maps navigator.  I don't look at maps unless I want to navigate somewhere, and the Google app has been the best performer of those I've tried.  I'd simply like my shortcut back.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

BirdOnTheBeach wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but I don't like VZ Navigator.  It is already in my phone but it is not as nice as the Google Maps navigator.  I don't look at maps unless I want to navigate somewhere, and the Google app has been the best performer of those I've tried.  I'd simply like my shortcut back.

The blue arrow navigation was merged into its main application "Google Maps". You can easily access it through the Maps Google Now or Google Search.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
keith111
Enthusiast - Level 3

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the original posters comment, but I believe he or she is referring to the 4.3 Android Update  forced an update of Google Maps to version 7 and eliminated a work around fix to revert previously available to users.

While the blue triangle Navigation button/app function has now been integrated into Maps v7, the original and well used My Maps function is gone, and all of the maps users had previously saved. Personally I had 80 some maps of all my customers in a 5 state region. After the update, all 80 maps are no longer available to me in v7 on my mobile devices. 

Seemingly taken by surprise after the amount of complaints, Google initially indicated there was a plan to revive the My Maps feature. However more than 8 months later, the community generally wonders if this extremely valuable feature is even on the roadmap. If you search the web and Google Forums, the My Maps exclusion is a very well documented and emotional issue, clearly something users have been upset about since last year when Google released v7. 

I read through the OTA update support document before clicking Okay, and I don't recall seeing anything regarding an update to Google Maps, or eliminating the blue triangular Navigation shortcut button. 

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

when in maps & i touch the search bar i see several addresses & when i select "view all", they're all there, all over the country just in a different place.

i've had updates to google maps since upgrade to 4.3 dec 17th, have better battery life & lost "0" functions from 4.1.2.

keith111
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Maps issue is relates to Google removing the My Maps, or My Places feature, it's not the list of map locations you're referring to.

Your Galaxy may be different somehow, firmware, manufactured parts, something out of the ordinary from the masses complaining about all these issues.  You're very fortunate. 

0 Likes
Waimon
Contributor - Level 3

Which navigator is it you are looking for? Is is the one with the blue arrow? As I did not have it on droid dna and did latest update and now have it. If that is what you are talking about try updating your google maps and it may reappear. That is all that blue arrow is. Just add a shortcut to google maps. If that is not your navigator then please explain which navigator it is you had. Name or what the icon looked like.

0 Likes
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, Waimon, it is the little blue arrow.  It is not just a "shortcut" to maps, it was a great shortcut to the "destination input".  It only took a couple of screen taps to get me to the place where I could speak my destination, navigator would locate me and get me on the road.  Now I have to open maps, find the little "button" to get me to where I can put in a destination, if i find the microphone and speak my destination half the time it gets it wrong and I have to input several times.  It then gives me a list of choices I have to scroll through, then I have to CHOOSE the route, then I have to tell it to start...sometimes it only brings up another map.

I want to get back to opening the app, telling it where I want to go, and having it get me there.  It really was THAT fast and THAT simple.  Google ruined it, and I can't find a way to get that back.  The latest maps update did not return it to me.

0 Likes
BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

Ann, it is not "easy" to use navigation from inside Google Maps.  Here is a snippet from the comment thread following one of the best articles I've found on this issue...you can read the entire thing here... Google messes up Android navigation

"7.  In old navigation app, the app kept running while I switch to other apps (like pandora or radio), but in the new version whenever i switch away from navigation and come back to it, it asks me if I want to cancel the navigation. WHY????.  Totally distracting, again GOOGLE forgot that users are driving a car.

8.  Why is there a X button in the navigation screen? AGAIN we are driving car and our fingers easily land on a slightly wrong target while driving.  The X button closes the navigation and takes back to the address screen, where I have to restart the navigation and ironically the last address is not always the first one on that screen.
If you hit X by mistake you will be punished by tapping 4-5 times and viewing and selecting the correct address again. And if you are more unlucky you might get into an accident.

9. The old maps used to have 'Exit Navigation' menu item.  That has gone. Now you have to tap back button on your phone for an indefinite number of times based on how many times you have restarted the navigation while working with the most non-user-friendly interface in the world."

It is not a trivial mess-up.  And I am seriously going to quit the smartphone, because that navigation is the ONLY reason I decided to GET the smartphone.

Hear THAT, Verizon Customer Service?  That will be trivial to you, about $60 out of your cash flow.  But I won't listen to any more of your enticements to "come back".