Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Problems
ha1rtr1gg3r
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello!  I recently received the Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA Update.  Since then, my GS5 has had multiple issues, enumerated below:

• Running inordinately hot, and shows the "Cooling Down" notification multiple times per day. 
  • The wi-fi connection constantly (every 20-30 seconds) reconnects, and will indicate that the internet connection is slow. 
    • I have checked the speed on other devices and it seems fine. 
    • I also rebooted the router to make sure nothing was wrong on that end, to no effect. 
  • Lastly, the phone has gotten very sluggish and laggy since the update. 

I found some advice given by the Verizon Wireless Customer Support in this thread.  I tried cleared the RAM and the cache partition as mentioned in the post, but have seen no improvements.  Can anyone help me? 

I'm completely exasperated with my supposedly powerful and reliable phone!

Drew

0 Likes
Re: Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Problems
Snn5
Legend

Have you tried a full factory reset without installing any apps or backup data from your Google account like apps and data yet?

0 Likes
ha1rtr1gg3r
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not, and would prefer an actual solution instead of a full on "nuclear" reset. 

To put this in perspective, imagine that when the latest OS X or Windows released, your computer started acting strange.  Would you be amicable to immediately wiping the hard drive and starting over?  I don't have time to re-download and re setup my device, settings, and apps.

As a consumer, I expect better support than that.  If this were not a beta/pre-release program, or if this was an isolated problem (it's not, check the forums) I would be more open to completely wiping my device.  However, Verizon cannot expect a large portion of its customers to have to perform factory resets every time they receive an update.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Sorry.  I was only offering a possible solution, as it seems you have done everything except an FDR.  My experiences won't help you I guess.  I have learned to FDR after every major (not incremental) update as usually many apps do not work with brand new OS updates such as 4.x apps that haven';t been updated by their developers to run on 5.0 yet.  You can always wait for the next incremental which should include bug fixes in 5.1 or 5.2.  Also, I understand the time it may take to reinstall apps and data so I always backup my apps and files pretty regularly.  Wish you the best.

0 Likes
ha1rtr1gg3r
Enthusiast - Level 2

Snn5,

I was not trying to make you feel bad, I do understand that a FDR would probably help (seeing as it resets everything), but I still don't think it should be necessary, and I would like an acknowledgement from Verizon Wireless Customer Support as to the problem, and potential solutions beyond just resetting the phone.

To those who are still experiencing the issue, I did find that turning off Smart Network Switch under Settings » Wifi » Advanced resolved the Wifi reconnecting problem, and significantly reduced the heat being put out by the unit.

Drew

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Google know what they were sending to Verizon and customers were for the most part ready and some begging for this update, now where does that leave us? I feel as do some others that Google being the main player needs to be  working overtime to get out a working update to Verizon and Samsung needs to play ball to.The FDR should be the last move to go to for thousands of S5 customers or any customer from any carrier. Keep in mind other model phones are waiting for this update also.

B33
Legend

Well you need to Understand.!    this is a Peer to Peer Forum there is Customer Reps that Visit the Forum and could look at your post if you started the thread as asked Question.. Snn5 was just trying to help give suggestions as I or any other customer would.. that reads the threads..

I'll Add with some of these Updates doing a F.D.R will help the update work with the phone but sometimes they just add more to the issue it's like jumping into a Cold body of Water nobody pushed you into doing it, it's all up to you and you have to wave what comes with it.. When the cold hits your skin same thing as with updates its up to you.. it's up to me.. And it's up to the next guy to update when the feel arrives and then you have make adjustments as best as you can at least till there is another update that fixes this one..