After the marshmallow update, need to enter pin after restarting the phone
SandyE43
Enthusiast - Level 2

I restarted my phone.  It says to enter my pin to unlock it and displays a telephone keypad with letters under the numbers.  My pin is a mix of letters and numbers, but I don't know how to get the letters to activate.  ie I type 6 when I want N, but I can't make it enter an N.  Help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: After the marshmallow update, need to enter pin after restarting the phone
SandyE43
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem is not that I need to enter a pin.  The problem is that my pin has letters.  The keypad that comes up does not allow letters, despite displaying them.  It's like a flip phone keypad.  No amount of long pressing or quickly tapping the same number will enable you to enter a letter.

I finally was able to unlock my phone through Samsung Find My Mobile.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Did you encrypt your phone?

SandyE43
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, it is the backup pin instead of the fingerprint.  This has only happened since the Marshmallow update.

It says I can't use the fingerprint since I restarted my phone, until I enter the pin.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

the pin is all digits, sounds like you entered a phrase with alphanumerics.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SandyE43

I know how important it is to have your phone secure. With the new Marshmallow update, it requires you to use your pin/password for the first unlock anytime your phone reboots. This is a new security measure to help protect your device. When you use the fingerprint option to lock your device, the phone requested you to also create a pin/password incase you are unable to use your fingerprint for any reason.

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SandyE43, we want to help you get your device unlocked and get this resolved for you. Do you recall setting up numeric lock code when you first set up your phone?

GearsonG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SandyE43
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem is not that I need to enter a pin.  The problem is that my pin has letters.  The keypad that comes up does not allow letters, despite displaying them.  It's like a flip phone keypad.  No amount of long pressing or quickly tapping the same number will enable you to enter a letter.

I finally was able to unlock my phone through Samsung Find My Mobile.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

That is how it is intended to work. As the others stated, the PIN can only be numbers. Under your security settings you can set up a 1) PIN, a 2) Pattern, a 3) Password, and/or a 4) Fingerprint to unlock your phone. Only the Password setting can contain letters.

SandyE43
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's nice that it can ONLY contain numbers.   It says it must contain "at LEAST 4 numbers."

Before the update, my letter-containing pin was able to be entered just fine.

I have changed it to be only numbers now.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are thrilled to hear that you found a resolution! Let us know if you need anything else.
CarleyR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes