5 digit texting - it was working, then it stopped
CHIQUENS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Background: I had a Samsung Galaxy S5 Note, 5 digit texting worked great.  Then I talked to my roommate, who was using Message+ and RAVED about it, so I switched.  About 4 months later, I started getting a ton of error messages, it took forever to load, I couldn't search for people's names, the system couldn't keep up with how fast I typed, etc.  Eventually I stopped using Message+ and started using Messages, and everything worked again except for texting 5 digit codes, which would error out, and then I'd have to reset my phone in order to send regular text messages.

Time moved on, and I got a new phone, Samsung Galaxy S7, which I love.  First thing I did was test out 5 digit codes, they totally worked!  The default messaging program was Message+, and it had been so long that I didn't even think "this is going to go badly"

Surprise, Surprise, the same thing happened.  I cleared the cache, disabled Message +, and then sadly I tried to send to a 5 digit code today, and it didn't work.

HOW DO I MAKE THIS WORK AGAIN?  I Don't want a new phone, I don't want to have to go through all this drama, I just want to be able to get runner tracking at the events where I'm running.  Why is this simple thing so messed up????

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 5 digit texting - it was working, then it stopped
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CHIQUENS, we're so happy to hear that your regular texting is working.   Now let's get your 5 digit code texts to go through correctly.  In order  to use this method of texting, we want to make sure that your Premium  text messaging service is enabled on your device first.  Please follow  these two sets of steps, reattempt to send a five digit code message,  and notify us of how your device responds.  Here are the steps: Choose  Settings-then Applications-then Application Manager-click on the three  dots in the upper right (menu)-choose Show System App-scroll down to  find Message Service then select it, and you should see the permissions  for "Send Premium text message." You can also check in your  special access to make sure it's enabled by Choose Settings-then  Applications-then Application Manager-click on the three dots in the  upper right (menu)-select Special Access-make sure "Use Premium text  message services" is allowed.

SeanC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If  my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_  button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our  conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

chiquens,

How strange! Short code texting isn't a guarantee, but we definitely want to get to the bottom of this. Do you have the same issue when you use Samsung Messages? What kind of error messages do you get?

JosephT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
CHIQUENS
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I use "messsages" (the red icon) It shuts the program down. When I

use the Message app (yellow background, white envelope) it give the

circling "sending" and never sends, but then NO messages send unless the

phone restarts.

Had this just been a one time thing, I would have written it off as

"operator error" but this is two phones now with the exact same problem,

and when I did the typical google search, I found more than a few people

with the same issue.

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 4:06 PM, vzw_customer_support <

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get to the bottom of this, CHIQUENS. I'm sure it was frustrating to have it work at first, only for it to fail later on. I just have a few questions. Are you sending a short text message to the 5 digit number, or are you sending a longer message or a picture? Are you typing in the 5 digit code, or using a code that has been saved in your contacts? Please provide more details, and we'll work together to see what may be causing this issue.

MichelleH_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
CHIQUENS
Enthusiast - Level 2

MOST Of the time, I'm trying to REPLY to a 5 digit code, for example,

SMASHBURGER sent a message, and if I replied, I got $1 off of a meal. That

response failing was how I realized that there was a problem. Previously

in January, when RunDisney text messaged me I was able to respond and was

able to track my half-marathon bib through the race.

I have tried clearing my cache, disabling Messages+, setting Message as my

default message program.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 8:35 AM, vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is to be able to send text messages.  Let's continue to work together to get this resolved.  What is happening when sending "regular" texts to other contacts in your phone instead?  Do you have any issues receiving texts?

SeanC_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
CHIQUENS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have no problem sending regular texts normally.

If I try to send to a 5 digit code, messenger shuts down, and I am not able

to send any text messages until I restart my phone.

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 10:03 AM, vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CHIQUENS, we're so happy to hear that your regular texting is working.   Now let's get your 5 digit code texts to go through correctly.  In order  to use this method of texting, we want to make sure that your Premium  text messaging service is enabled on your device first.  Please follow  these two sets of steps, reattempt to send a five digit code message,  and notify us of how your device responds.  Here are the steps: Choose  Settings-then Applications-then Application Manager-click on the three  dots in the upper right (menu)-choose Show System App-scroll down to  find Message Service then select it, and you should see the permissions  for "Send Premium text message." You can also check in your  special access to make sure it's enabled by Choose Settings-then  Applications-then Application Manager-click on the three dots in the  upper right (menu)-select Special Access-make sure "Use Premium text  message services" is allowed.

SeanC_VZW

If  my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_  button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our  conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
CHIQUENS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went through everything - in Message I cannot find anywhere that says

Premium Messaging. Screenshots attached.

When I try the second method, the only app that includes premium messaging

is Messages+, which I do not want to use any more, because it only works

well for a few months, and then stops working optimally.

[image: Inline image 5][image: Inline image 4][image:

Inline image 3][image: Inline image 2]

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 11:38 AM, vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are no pictures attached. You can't post images to the public forum through the email reply of the message notification. You need to sign into the community forum directly and post the images to this discussion thread using the text reply dialog box.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes