4G and Wifi icon color question - Active or disabled?
Drunder39
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I disable data manually on my S7 Edge, the line through the 4G appears indicating it is disabled. I also notice (with data enabled) that when wifi is connected the 4G icon goes gray and when the wifi is disconnected the 4G icon goes white. Does the gray icon in the notifications window mean wifi or 4G is disabled and the white indicates it is active?

The reason I ask is because I live in a bad reception area so making and keeping calls is not reliable at all. Now with WiFi calling, I want to use that obviously. Question is, when my S7 connects to Wifi does it automatically disable data and then when WiFi disconnects does data get turned on automatically?

Apparently according to Verizon documentation, the Wifi calling is only used when there is no data available so l take that to mean that as long as I have a signal, even as unreliable as it is, the phone will not shift to Wifi calling. Only when I disable data (or the signal is just not present) will it use Wifi calling..

Does that sound accurate?  I cannot find a setting in the phone to make data turn off when Wif connects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: 4G and Wifi icon color question - Active or disabled?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The line through the 4G symbol means it is disabled.  When it is gray, the connection is inactive, but available for use when the wifi connection isn't available.  Even when the 4g is disabled, the phone can make calls over the 1x voice network.  The only way I know of to force wifi calling is to turn on airplane mode and connect to your wifi and make a call.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes