4.3 upgrade problems - how can it be undone?
dougscho

This afternoon (1/21/14) I ran the upgrade.  what a mistake.  my battery level decreases fast, even without using the phone.  I selected airplane mode and when I went into settings it did not actually go into airplane mode.  I used to have good wifi connection and now it says unstable.  Couple times my camera flash turned itself on briefly -- plus more.    How can I undo the upgrade?  One internet site said even with resetting the phone not all of the old features return

0 Likes
Re: 4.3 upgrade problems - how can it be undone?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The OS version update can't be undone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dougscho

thanks for the reply. Darn!

0 Likes
techchick
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bummer.... this upgrade is so bad and Verizon does not seem to care.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

techchick wrote:

Bummer.... this upgrade is so bad and Verizon does not seem to care.

Samsung was the one writing the code and made it so it can't undone. Verizon Wireless had nothing to do with the code.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

techchick
Enthusiast - Level 2

True on the code front.

However, it was a business decision of Verizon to push the upgrade and I pay the bill to Verizon. Therefore, as far as I am concerned, this mess is Verizon's problem and it is Verizon's responsibility to sort this out with Samsung, not mine or any end user's.

Tidbits
Legend

That's why updates are slow... Being released. They are in a catch 22. All these problems you'll find worldwide. If Verizon was involved like you assume they should be... Then don't you think the other devices out there would have less to no problems? Samsung hasn't rolled out a fix in any country including their home country. No one can do a thing until Samsung fixes the problem.

Tidbits
Legend

It isn't Verizon's choice to push out the update. Regardless of what the media spews out. If the manufacturer changes the minimum OS for warranty purposes(which Samsung did) all devices needs to be updated. Samsung blocked downgrading. If you call in Samsung they expect you to be on 4.3 and ask if you upgraded. If you didn't they'll tell you to upgrade first before they'll help you. If you send your device in when you get it back it'll be on 4.3.

Doing a warranty exchange through a carrier actually gives you a chance to be on the lower firmware, but eventually you'll be forced to upgrade(just like anywhere in the world).

0 Likes
RedFrog47
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually, it is Verizon's choice to accept the update as suitable for customers based on their own testing.  OEMs submit  test results to providers for review, then providers then perform extensive testing of OS updates and device releases for every model release and update, including automated, scripted power consumption and performance testing.  Jellybean OS has been released for ages from Google--this isn't a brand new OS with some rush to release.  Providers (Verizon, etc.) make business decisions to launch an update based on test results from the OEM and also their own testing.  Eventually, yes, they must update the OS but there is control.  If Verizon deemed the experience unacceptable to customers based on testing they could have stopped it.  So . . . Verizon tested and chose to release the OS knowing this issue, or they chose not to run appropriate tests on this release.  And the GS3 is a phone with a huge number of users, so even more reason to test more not less.  Shame on them both, but the buck stops with Verizon.

Tidbits
Legend

What if everything checks out during testing. There are millions on millions of units. Not everyone has problems.

0 Likes