4.2.2 S4 upgrade - Problems
ShaddyS4

Hey fellow Verizoners!

Two Days ago now, I received the notorious "Software update" pop up window on my S4, and with excitement I clicked 'Update now' instead of "remind me later," which has turned out to be the biggest mistake that I have made in my life, I know - I live a boring life.

Since the upgrade my battery life Dropped by 50%. I have grown SOOO accustomed to charging my battery once a day. I am reminded from this upgrade, of how bad the battery life is, taking me back to the S3 days. For example I went to sleep last night 11pm, my phone was on 98%, when I woke up for work at 6am, the phone was at 5%. FYI I put the phone on airplane mode when I am sleeping. Weird.

Not only battery life sucks - also the phone seems to choose when it feels like restarting on me. Sometimes its when I am receiving a call, sometimes when I am posting tweets > the screen will go black! Nothing happens. My phone will randomly shut down all together whenever it wants too, even if it has plenty of battery or not even running any "heavy" apps

Secondly, after the phone shuts off, it doesn't boot up correctly, it will shut back down at any stage during rebooting, and when it finally decides to get to the lock screen, it wont last long.Smiley Sad

Can somebody please provide any solutions if possible?

0 Likes
Re: 4.2.2 S4 upgrade - Problems
tgbowil1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same type of issue with the battery getting drained much faster since applying the update.  I am not having the shutdown issues.  Prior to the upgrade, the battery life on my phone would last most of the day.  Now I am lucky to get through half a day before I have to charge the phone.  Not happy with this latest update.

Alvnunez
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same problem here after the latest update. I'll leave as much information as possible (including pics), hopefully someone can help us.

I have a Verizon Galaxy S4 (i545). Running it's latest update 4.2.2 JDQ39.I545VRUDMI1. Before the update i used to charge my phone once a day, now i have to do it 3 times a day. I've been looking for a solution, i already disabeled Location services on the phone and also disabeled Google's Acces location, so that's not the problem. I also tried restarting the phone and clearing Goggle Services app's cache.

The following pictures are from today after 3.5 hours being unplugged, the only thing i've done is listen music and as you will see, it's only 9% of the battery usage.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UiW8U3l5XuQ/Ump2u5jCk9I/AAAAAAAAAOo/37ovnY_cFmE/w330-h587-no/13+-+3https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ws3PvVQhy4Q/Ump2uzPr_RI/AAAAAAAAAOk/Rhd-jwk5CHI/w330-h587-no/13+-+2 https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-nqrPoi5ZuU4/Ump2u9oQR_I/AAAAAAAAAOc/Pyo1ijMQi8w/w330-h587-no/13+-+1

0 Likes
newvalve
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same issue here.  I've seen posts that suggest removing the Google Play updates and then letting them reinstall, doesn't seem to help - in fact, I haven't been offered to reinstall the update.   The big culprit on my phone appears to be Google Services, and the screen battery usage seems higher than usual.

Any suggestions most appreciated.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Alvnunez,

Software updates are meant to enhance rather than hinder the performance of the phone and I am sorry to hear that is what happened in your case. Let's get to the bottom of this to make sure your phone is performing as it should. Thanks for all the info included.

How long does the battery life last from 100% to 0%? Any physical damage or water damage done to the phone? One thing I would try is to recalibrate the battery by letting it run down all the way to 0%, to the point it shuts off and recharge the phone all the way to 100% and test the life again.

Here are some additional tips to extend battery life:http://vz.to/16yomlq.

Keep us updated with results.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Alvnunez
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Nicholas,

First thing.. thanks for answering to my issue. The phone would last about

7 to 7.5 hours, but that's almost with no use at all. I'm at work and the

only thing i've done is play music for about 3 hours. The phone is already

in 20% after 5 hours from 100%, everything that may drain my battery is off

(all location services, nfc, blutooth, all the samsung goodies, etc.) Right

now i don't feel i have a smartphone.

The phone doesn't have any damage at all, i'm very careful with all my

devices. Before the upgrade, my phone would last an entire day of work with

heavy using including games.

I was going to try clearing the cache partition from the boot screen. But i

guess you guys have it locked. So i'll try recalibrating the battery as you

said, but i don't think that would fix it. Even if the battery isn't

calibrated, it wouldn't make such a dramatic change on the battery life.

Anyways i'm going to try it, hopefully i'm wrong.

Thanks again for all your help, i'll keep you updated.

On Oct 27, 2013 11:38 AM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

Chewzilla

I have been having the exact same issue with my battery being drained after only a few hours use.  In addition, I keep getting a "Blank SD Card" message that says it is blank or has unsupported files. 

0 Likes
jonc75
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue. Phone is brand new, only had it a few weeks. Absolutely no problems until the update. My wife's phone updated as well and it seems like her is fine. Google Services seems to be the culprit battery killer on my phone. I didn't even make it through a work day with minimal usage and all location services turned off before my battery was completely dead. Need a fix for this.

0 Likes
jb2z

I'm having the same problem with the phone shutting down randomly after the upgrade that was performed on 10/24/2013. I haven't noticed a battery life issue yet, but the random shutdowns have been very annoying. Does anyone know if a factory reset will restore the software version from when the phone was purchased?

0 Likes
tgbowil1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nicholas,

I ran the battery on my phone down to 0% until it automatically shut off.  Then I recharged my phone.  It is currently using 10% of the battery life every hour.  At this rate the battery will be all used up in 10 hours and this is with minimum use.  Prior to the phone update, I could go 16 plus hours before even thinking about putting my phone on a charger.

Someone needs to get this figured out. 

0 Likes