3rd defective device, now Verizon sent me a "Like New" phone and are denying me a new replacement - Only been a customer for a little over a month now!
ritchie3
Enthusiast - Level 2

This concerning my struggle with defective handsets. On July 18th 2013 which was the 13th day from which we started our contract I returned to the Verizon wireless store located on 2266 Bartow Ave, Bronx, NY 10475. The reason for my visit was to exchange the Galaxy S4 in which I received on July 5th. The reason for my return was due to the defective handset, the smartphones screen froze numerous times during usage. The first few experiences I though nothing of it, and held on to the device with the with expectation that it would not occur again. However, to my surprise the screen continued to freeze. Explaining this to the sale representative at the Bartow location they exchanged the device, giving me a new device to replace the defective one. Yet again I experienced problems, this time it was connectivity problems which resulted in numerous failed text messages at different locates on different times. Upon reading trouble shooting tips on Verizon.com under “Verizon Troubleshooter” I went through all the tips and still experienced connectivity problems days later. So, for the third time within the 14 day window. I revisited the Bartow location and explained my current situation, with my explanation I provided screen shots. These screen shots depicted failed text messages while on “4Glte” with full bars at different times on several different days. The sales representative then began a transaction to replace my device for a second time. Upon setting up my “3rd” device, it shut off in the sales representatives hand and needed to be powered back on. Once the phone was in my hand I experienced what the sale representative had just witnessed – The phone powering off on its own and not powering back on unless the power key was activated. The sales representative was not going to let me take the defective phone especially after witnessing the current problem first hand. As a result I was given a 4th handset, which I consider my “3rd” device because I did not leave the store with the defective device which powered itself off. Currently, I am in possession of my 3rd Samsung Galaxy S4 which to no surprise is experiencing software issues – along the lines of freezing in between applications, specifically between text messaging and phone calls. Due to my high volume of defective phones which I find to be far past that of coincidence. I began to question my personal usage. I contacted the Verizon help line on August 14th 2013 (which was also within the 14 day window of exchange/replacement) and spoke to a technician about my current situation. Together, through a series of questions we eliminated one cause at a time, it appeared that my usage was not the cause of the defects in which I was experiencing. Together we also worked out how I should carry out the activation of my new phone. One of my reasons for calling the help line was because I believe I may have been receiving a bad batch of phones from the Bartow location, although my significant other has had the same device originally purchased on August 5th 2013 and has not experienced a single problem. With that I would like to add that the employees at the Bartow location are very helpful and are there to serve Verizon customers to the best of their abilities which I have to say is superb. To continued, I was under the impression that I would receive a new Samsung Galaxy S4 (Black Mist) in the mail within 24 hours. I received the phone the following day exactly when the representative stated it would. To my surprise the device in which I received was a “Like New Certified Replacement” I was shocked to see that I had been sent a refurbished device. On August 18th 2013, I contacted the Verizon help line for the second time. I explained my entire situation as I have been doing numerous times since the start of our contracts days after August 5th 2013. During my call I was connected to a Supervisor who I was told would better handle the situation, the name of this supervisor I rather not state because I wouldn't like any actions to be taken against them. The conversation at the beginning was very content and seemed to sway toward disrespectful use of tones and words from the Supervisor, which lead to choices of words I am not happy with and would like to apologies for in advance on my behalf. During my conversation it was stated numerous times that I wouldn't receive a new device and that a refurbished device was “all that I would get”. While trying to explain my situation the Supervisor continued to relay the same set of statements. To my belief it seemed as if that Supervisor though I was unable to grasp the concept of the 14 day window for replacement/exchange and that I was uneducated and incapable of understanding the warranty agreement which was signed. I believe I was treated very unfairly, I hold no power nor do I have the ability to take any action other than my words. I kindly contacted the Verizon help line and tried to express my concerns and situation. By no means was your Supervisor accepting my words or taking into consideration my situation. I am a consumer and to be honest this type of “Service” is unacceptable. I purchased a New Samsung Galaxy S4 in which I experienced countless problems through various devices. I don't believe in any way I should receive a “Like New” device when I purchased a new device at the beginning of my contract on August 5th 2013. I decided to write this email to avoid contacting the Verizon help line again, this is because I have never witnessed such bad communication skills from someone in a Supervisor position. I can't fully express the feedback I received from this Supervisor and I couldn't clearly describe to your the lack of respect I received. In Retrospect, I ship the “Like New” device back to your company as I am not accepting it as a form of resolution to this sitation. As a customer of Verizon I believe I should receive was I purchased which is a new, unopened. Unused, non refurbished Samsung Galaxy S4.

0 Likes
Re: 3rd defective device, now Verizon sent me a "Like New" phone and are denying me a new replacement - Only been a customer for a little over a month now!
Norcalman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm in the same boat as you are. My S4 stopped charging after only a month and now they are sending me a refurbished replacement instead of a new one. I didn't pay all that money just to use a new phone for one month and then get saddled with some retread for the remaining 23 months on my contract.

I guarantee you this, I'll never sign a contract nor purchase a phone through Verizon again. EVER!

Re: 3rd defective device, now Verizon sent me a "Like New" phone and are denying me a new replacement - Only been a customer for a little over a month now!
Klue
Master - Level 1

The next time you sign a contract, you should read it beforehand.

budone
Legend

Three devices , same issue. My guess It is an app you download each time

Norcalman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, I'm sure you did just that didn't you? Not a line went by you  as the sales person went through the list item for item. I bet you also  read all the licensing agreements every time you download an app or  software. But hey, if it's in a contract while never being  pointed out let alone mentioned then it must be ethical and in the  interest of the customer.

As for myself I have no  recollection of having the agreement shown to me. I was given a two and a  half foot long receipt that said RECEIPT on it. That's what I signed.  Maybe next time I can borrow the lawyer you had with you when you we bought this piece of trash phone. Just wait till yours goes belly up  and we'll see what you have to say.

Klue
Master - Level 1

Norcalman wrote

"Yeah, I'm sure you did just that didn't you?"

Yes I did, most of it anyway, but especially that part about 14 day return policy, ETF fees, warranty work and returns. I've owned a number of phones and made myself aware of what to expect from Verizion or the phone manufacturer.

I read contracts from auto dealers, furntiure stores and anyother thing I might buy if I have any reason to believe that I might have to return the product.

As for myself I do own the S4 and it is a magnificant phone, Not one problem in two months, and I expect I won't have any problems later on. The phone runs like a swiss watch.  If by chance I do have to return the phone I know I will not get back the original but a refurbished version.

BTW just how long were you expecting Verizion to supply you with a new phone every time you experience a problem?

Norcalman
Enthusiast - Level 3

So you've had your phone for two months now eh? Well lucky you. Look around these forums here and you discover that maybe you're the exception and not the rule. Two months though isn't really long at all. As I pointed out before, just wait until your phone goes belly up. We'll see how much you like your phone then.

As to your question about how long Verizon should give out new phones for DEFECTIVE models, I'd say three months sounds about right. My phone is encased in a rather stout Otter Box and is protected like few others. I did nothing in the 30 days I've owned this turd but use it gingerly because that's what I do with expensive pieces of equipment. It went down as from an obvious manufacturing defect. Three months should be sufficient for any defect to manifest itself and be viable for a NEW replacement barring an obvious signs of abuse or physical damage.

Imagine if car companies acted like this. Well actually they don't because there are Lemon Laws out there. Maybe there should be some regulation here as well.

Klue
Master - Level 1

I believe the people who post here for help with thier phones are the exception, not the rule.  Yes there are many who have problems, but compared to the 10 of millions S4's sold it's only a very small fraction.

I would accept 3 months for no question asked return policy. In fact Costco does provide that with their cell phones and all electronics.  That's why any electonic device I'm looking to buy, I check with them first.

Question - What troubleshhoting steps did you take to fix the non charging function prior to sending in the phone?

pherson
Champion - Level 1

When your phone died, were you using it? Yes you were. Its used and a replacement will be a refurb or certified like new. Its in your contract. Besides..  the s4is fairly new. Yes verizon has certified like new but I doubt they are sll used phones.

As a last resortif you dont wanta replacement and want yours fixed send to samsung. You will be without the phone butits being fixed.

Norcalman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is my answer - Of course I tried to troubleshoot the problem. I first noticed the problem last Wednesday night when (as always) I plugged it in to the charge. I do this every night because I have my charging cord plugged into a timer which shuts off after two and a half hours. I noticed that the charge light didn’t come on when I plugged it in. I checked to see if there was any dirt or damage to either the cord end or the receptacle on the phone. Both were clean and undamaged. I turned it on to see if it was indeed not accepting a charge which it wasn’t. I removed the cord from the timer and plugged it straight into the wall outlet and still nothing. The next morning I plugged it in again and it started to charge. That lasted about five minutes and then it stopped again. I brought the phone in with me to work with the intent of going over to the Verizon store to have them check it out during lunch. While at work I started to charge again but after fifteen minutes it stopped. I also got a message at the top telling me that it was plugged into a docking station. It was not. Once I got the Verizon store (on Thursday around noon), I walked in with my phone and charger. I asked them to plug it in to see if they could get it to work. They could not. I then asked them to try it with their cords. I have had cords go bad on me before, and I was at the time praying that this was indeed the problem. Using their cord they plugged it in and not only did it not charge but the message confirming that it had connected to a docking station came up. Their goose was cooked at that point they knew it. However, they then set it back to the factory reset (losing all my data) and tried one more time to bring it around, but it was to no avail. They then ordered a replacement right there and then and informed me that though it was going to be a two day delivery except that it would arrive on Tuesday (five days later) because of the Labor day holiday. She then went over instructions on how I was to return the device and explained that if original (and new) device was not received on their end within five working days of me receiving the used (retreaded) replacement that I would be billed for the cost of the device. $550 bucks on top of the $250+ dollars I already paid for it with contract. To top it all off I had all of the Labor Day week off for vacation but now find myself stuck at home until at least Tuesday just so I can receive my used “like-new” refurbished phone for the new one that died on me after a month just to avoid paying an additional $550.

Does this sound like a good policy to you? I’ve been with Verizon for close to a decade and this is how I’m treated after all this time. I’ve paid my bills on time, every time and gave them my business when I actually had a choice to go with several other carriers. I was actually seriously considering going with a “dumb” phone with a physical keyboard for texting needs and using my Jetpack hotspot along with a Nexus 7 tablet for data usage. I regret not having done so.

At any rate I do concede that I should have been more vigilant with my purchase. I did have a chance to go with either Amazon or Costco in buying my phone but thought that the process would more painless by going through the Verizon store. That is a decision that will never again be repeated.