Re: wifi constantly searching after 4.3 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there kmff66,

Let's get your device an energy drink and keep it running throughout the day. When you have it charged to 100% how long does it take to get to 0%? How do you use your phone on a daily basis? Do you notice a longer battery life when not connected to WiFi?

Please provide additional details so that we can better assist.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kbachler
Enthusiast - Level 3

Please see my comments above.

In addition, I have now found the following odd circumstance.  After rebooting the device continued to drain even though connected to a charger, all radios off, apps killed, screen turned way down (20% brightness) OR off.  CPU running at a high rate.

THEN I plugged it into a PNY external battery to charge.  CPU speed dropped, device charged normally.  I then switched to the normal charger, and it charged normally.  I really looks like changing the charger caused a change - and this appears to be the SECOND time this has happened for me.  I was uncertain how I got the GN2 to act normally the first time, and remembered that in an effort to charge it while I was out and about, I plugged in the external battery.  At the time, I thought it was coincidence.  Now I am less certain.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi kmf66,

We want you happy with your S3. I understand wanting to be able to use Wi-Fi but not have it drain your battery. When you enter the Wi-Fi Settings screen, the Wi-Fi network scanning may run automatically, regardless if it is already connected to a Wi-Fi network. Have you made sure you're not in the Wi-Fi Settings screen when noticing the scanning?

ElizabethE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kbachler
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also see my two sets of comments from today in this thread.  Some more detailed info on what seems to be happening.

0 Likes
nickfd3s

Hello. I'm also having the same problem with my note2. After the update wifi goes on and off all the time in the house where it was always fine before. I use it for hours doing random things and suddenly see I'm not on wifi(but its turned on). I had lost my job last year and had to move my plan down to the minimum data I could and now it has me worried about going over since wifi is a issue now. I'm sure it does mess with the battery life but since I've been staying home I haven't really payed much attention to that part.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kbachler, we want to make sure that your phone has enough juice in your battery no matter what. When did you notice the battery issue. started to happen. Do you have your wifi on all time time even when you are not using it? Do you use bluetooth on the phone? I hope to hear back from you ASAP

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kbachler
Enthusiast - Level 3

Consolidating the info I've posted for you:

1. The battery draining rapidly problem started immediately upon the 4.3 upgrade.

2. I tried several solutions - something inadvertently made the phone work fine after I had been trying solutions for the battery draining issue - but at the time no clear reason was apparent for the temporary fix.  At the time I was unable to identify a reason.  However, it started working fine after charging it from a battery, as opposed to a charger.

3. When the battery was draining rapidly, I turned off all radios, plugged the phone in to charge using chargers that had previously charged the GN2 with no issue.    However, after the upgrade, the phone continued to discharge, even with the radios off, the screen off, and with apps killed.

4. I downloaded a CPU monitor.  Although I was looking at a graph and couldn't tell exact speeds, during the time the battery was draining, the CPU was running at least 2-3 times faster than when the phone was behaving normally.  (Note that I believe the concern about excessive WiFi searching is probably a red herring.  I think its this CPU issue.)

5. Checking the battery meter, Android OS went from the 4% to 6% range when the phone was acting well, up to the 30+% range when it was discharging.

6. Since the upgrade, when the phone re-boots, it opens MANY apps.  These are apps that did not run on start-up prior to the upgrade.  Simply killing or using force stop of these apps does not change the CPU use or the ability to charge the Galaxy Note 2.  Prior to the upgrade, on startup, I had 650M to 750M free.  Now on startup I have 350M free.

7. As mentioned, the phone began behaving normally for a reason that at the time was unclear, after I tried charging it from an external PNY battery.  Then TODAY, the phone again began draining the battery again.  Again, the CPU was running much, much faster than normal.  After trying several things, I again happened to plug in the battery attempting to charge the phone, since even when plugged into a charger, the phone was still losing charge.  At that point the CPU dropped to a normal speed, and the phone began charging.  I switched to a charger and the phone began to charge normally.

My conclusion is that something is causing the CPU to clock high, and for some reason plugging in the PNY battery is reversing that effect.

Yes, I use WIFI and Bluetooth and GPS.  Prior to the upgrade, that wasn't an issue.  No, if the phone gets into "battery drain mode" even with all radios off, the screen low, and the phone plugged in, the phone STILL discharges, and it appears to be due to a racing CPU.  Plugging in an external battery APPEARS to stop the CPU from racing.  I have not yet had a charger stop the CPU from racing, although I've tried several now.

0 Likes
kbachler
Enthusiast - Level 3

To clarify   2. I tried several solutions - something inadvertently made the phone work fine after I had been trying solutions for the battery draining issue - but at the time no clear reason was apparent for the temporary fix.  At the time I was unable to identify a reason.  However, it started working fine after charging it from an external battery, as opposed to a charger.

0 Likes
steve1811
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had the same problem on my Verizon Note 3 running Android 4.3 updated on Nov 11, 2013. My WIFi continually drops out, even close to the router. The phone would say internet connection unstable.

After weeks of searching I discovered that turning off the Bluetooth fixed the problem.

I have searched further on the web and see that many others are having the same problem. It extends to the Galaxy S line as well. Wifi and Bluetooth use the same frequency band, but with much different channel widths. There is some interference mechanism that seems to be impacting lots of users and wasting a lot of people's time.

I just posted a complaint to Samsung on their website. Since this is a common problem that seems to be unacknowledged, perhaps someone should think about a class action.

Steve

0 Likes
jakskitt

I have been having a battery drain issue as well. This issue started the day I upgraded to 4.3. I also have the Galaxy Note II and my mom has a SIII and just updated, she is having issues with battery drain as well.

Before the update I could run my phone with Wifi and GPS on, and fairly heavy screen usage on auto-brightness from 100% to 10% over the course of 14-15 hours. After the update with GPS OFF and Wifi constantly scanning OFF my battery runs from 100% to 0% in about 10-11 hours. I have not installed or run any new apps besides the bloatware that came with the update, and I constantly kill running apps trying to conserve battery life.

I have not run into any issues with the phone continuing to discharge while plugged in. However, I have also noticed a marked difference in charge time. I have not clocked it yet but I do know it has increased rather significantly. There is no way that it is the charging device. I have used 5 different AC chargers including the one the phone came with, two different car chargers and an Anker external battery and run into the same results with all of them.

One other minor issue I noted is when opening my gallery or camera (something that used to take under 2 seconds) it now takes the gallery anywhere between 5 and 20 seconds to open and the camera between 5-10 seconds, and that is even after I have killed the apps I opened in the task manager.

Haven't checked CPU usage but will be downloading an app to keep an eye on it.

There is SOMETHING(s) buggy in Verizon's 4.3 update. I sure hope they follow through and figure this out and get a patch out soon because it is extremely frustrating. I had no major issues with the Note II prior to the Verizon 4.3 update but now... been finding little ones popping up since the update. If I wanted to run a beta version of their 4.3 I would have signed up for it.

0 Likes