wifi constantly searching after 4.3 update
kmf66

I love my Galaxy Note 2 and I always had fantastic battery life but after 4.3 was added the wifi is in constant motion.  I can just watch the arrows dance around all day and the battery drain.  I am at home all day so my connection is constant and strong.  My Kindle and other devices work just fine. My husband is now having the same issue with his phone after he received the update. Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this?

Thank you

Kim  

0 Likes
Re: wifi constantly searching after 4.3 update
Chir
Enthusiast - Level 2

You're not alone.  It's doing the same thing to me.  It's so bad, I had to turn the wireless off just to use the phone.

This (is no good); my unlimited data is gone, and now I'm forced it used 4G for internet access because the battery life is so horrible with wifi on.  I would charge my phone every other day, and now, if wifi is on, I have to charge it 3 times a day...

0 Likes
kmf66

Goodness that looks like where I am headed.  I hate that.  It is a great phone. 

0 Likes
kbachler
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have also had significant battery drain.  Checking to see if its due to wifi.

0 Likes
kmf66

I did a factory reset last night to see if that would help but no luck.  The wifi is constantly scanning even though I am connected with a strong signal. 

0 Likes
bluestar
Contributor - Level 1

I found this solution posted on cnet. 

• To disable Wi-Fi scanning always available on your Android 4.3  Jelly Bean device, launch the settings app and tap on the Wi-Fi option  under wireless & networks.
  • Next, tap on the menu button in the lower-left hand corner and select "Advanced" from the list.
  • You should then see "Always allow scanning" with a checkbox next to  it. Uncheck the box and your device will no longer scan for networks at  all times.

But when I checked my phone, the box was unchecked and, despite this, the continual scanning is still ongoing.  Not sure why it didn't have the desired effect for me but maybe this might help some folks anyway.

0 Likes
Waimon
Contributor - Level 3

Do not have that kind of phone but there is one thing you might could try. Go to your wifi settings on your phone. Then at the top right there is a menu for more options, if it is like my droid dna, click it and go to advance. In there uncheck notify me option and keep wifi on during sleep and set a certain frequency for which ever frquency your wifi is on and the check but wifi optimization. Doing all that might fix your problem. Do not know if anyone has tried that but I had to do that on my droid dna when I got it and it has fixed my wifi issues. Hope this helps for yours.

0 Likes
kbachler
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have also posted in another thread, as I initially had battery drain without clear excessive WiFi scanning - although I did later observe the excessive scanning also.  I have now documented some additional behaviors since the update.

1. For awhile the phone worked fine.  I was unable to identify a reason.  However, it started working fine after charging it from a battery, as opposed to a charger.

2. I turned off all radios, plugged the phone in to charge using chargers that had previously charged it fine.    However, the phone continued to discharge.

3. I downloaded a CPU monitor.  Although I was looking at a graph and couldn't tell exact speeds, the CPU was running 2-3 times faster when the phone was discharging.

4. Watching the battery meter, Android went from the 4% to 6% range when the phone was acting well, up to the 30% range when it was discharging.

5. Since the upgrade, when the phone re-boots, it opens MANY apps.  These are apps that did not run on start-up prior to the upgrade.  Simply killing or using force stop of these apps does not change the CPU use or the ability to charge the Galaxy Note 2.

Given the above, I have to conclude that there is something FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG with the last upgrade.

If possible, is there any way to revert the device to its pre-upgrade status?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. You can't revert to the previous OS version.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
kbachler
Enthusiast - Level 3

Any sense of whether other devices have had similar issues?  Something is clearly not right here.

0 Likes