unlike older Samsung, NOTE II upgrade forcing itself
OSitCAMEwith
Enthusiast - Level 3

I saw this progression bar yesterday of this update that is horrible so I disconnected from the internet and de-commissioned my new (December 2013) Galaxy Note II.

Is Verizon Wireless forcing this update?  Since I stopped the download midstream, MUST I root the phone or can I just factory reset it to the Original Operating System it came with (4.1.2 that is still running) and maybe just have it in settings where the actual installation of the upgrade to 4.3 hell is preventable? Am I at choice or is verizon's downgrade upgrade forced on me by Verizon Wireless?

Thank you for any inputs while I hope the answer is not no sucka! Then I would sell the Galaxy Note II and I bet the price for the unit has been de-valued greatly with this Android 4.3 'purposeful accident'.

-T, NYC

0 Likes
Re: unlike older Samsung, NOTE II upgrade forcing itself
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Samsung is forcing the update. A factory reset will only put the phone with a clean install of the latest version of the OS.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
OSitCAMEwith
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the reply, Ann.

That is so bizarre Samsung is shoving that 4.3 upgrade (i know, i know 4.3 was desired by so many) down the throats of these Samsung Galaxy Note II devices from Verizon Wireless.

I guess they want certain tethering and other features including battery like changed/lessened/deleted? I know the 'benefits of it'. I choose the operating system 4.1.2 it came with. My other phones have offered a choice to install or not to install.

I guess I better talk to Verizon Wireless tech. team and hear their corroboration.  Samsung, if it is true you took away my Classic Galaxy Note II then your giant company stinks to high heaven.

HA ! - T

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It doesn't matter if it is Verizon or not... They ALL are setup to upgrade and no longer be able to downgrade. Verizon has little to do with it. I think it has more to do with Samsung becoming more and more proprietary with their hardware and software.

0 Likes
OSitCAMEwith
Enthusiast - Level 3

I should have bought a new Motorola. Oh well, do you think I could still get even $190-$200 for a used Samsung Galaxy Note II?  I am amazed at the Murphy's Law with this Samsung hell upgrade!

I made the worst buying decision for the best Smartphone that is now being forced to become pathethic. I should have bought another Samsung Droid Charge at this point it is better.

Samsung is terrible and they have destroyed the Noye II and probably, wastefully, just want more profit and have the sheeple drop their Note II for Note 3?  Dream away Korean profiteers!

0 Likes
OSitCAMEwith
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally , as a poster says "just get a phone with no upgrade capabilities" is dumb.

It is to get a phone where the updates do not diminish a phone, like Samsung has done for the Galaxy Note II.

And I wish now the new phone, whatever it may be now that I wasted money on a Galaxy Note II,  were not android at all. These Samsung swine devils have us over a barrel and without choice.

Goodbye to the once good Samsung Galaxy Note II.  It now is sub-par withthe 2014 updates. Stay away!

>Minor Edit<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator><

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A new Motorola would likely have had Android 4.3 OS on it and probably would have been updated to Android 4.4 and higher after a while. While not everyone gets a bug with an update, most phone model seem to have one or two develop throughout its lifetime of OS updates.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Michael_in_ATL

In addition, Verizon/Samsung have locked the bootloader again with this update, and initial reports are that it is highly unlikely anyone will ever be able to unlock it. That means no custom ROMS, TWRP or Clockwork Recovery.

I stopped by a T-Mobile store today, and am strongly considering a Nexus 5. I cannot tolerate this kind of handset control that Samsung and Verizon are collaborating on. It's not right.

0 Likes