mobile data turns on by itself
lbc47
Enthusiast - Level 1

Note 4. every time I turn off mobile data, it comes by on by itself. how to keep it off?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: mobile data turns on by itself
kauffmds
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did as you suggested and went into the messages setting menu.  Under multimedia, auto retrieve was enabled, so I disabled it.  I thought it was working, until I looked 2 hours later, to find the data on again.  So, I went back into the messages settings, multimedia and found group conversations and MMS alert enabled.  I disabled everything under multimedia.   That was several hours ago and so far, so good.  The data has remained off.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
lbc47,

You've come to the right place for help! How are you turning off data on the phone? Are you doing this http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-122532/? When is the mobile data turning on on itself? Does it happen when connected to WiFi? You can want to make sure auto switch to disabled so mobile data is not turned on when the WiFi connected is lost or weak http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-122193/. Keep me posted.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
lbc47
Enthusiast - Level 1

JohnB

thanks for your two suggestions.

Yes, I am turning off mobile data correctly  as per the directions you referenced.

Mobile data turns on unpredictably and very soon after I turn it off. There seems to be no discernible reason or app that triggers it.

Yes it happens when it is connected to wifi.

The auto switch was/is disabled as per the directions you referenced.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thank you so much for providing that additional information lbc47. What software version do you have on your device? When did you first notice that this was happening? Any recent new apps that you can think that were downloaded when this started to occur?

CandiceH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
k9bites
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the exact same issue and it's driving me crazy.  It started happening on my Verizon Note 4, as well, just after the latest update.  In reading some other recommendations, I saw it may be related to apps that have permission to "Change Network Connectivity" so I removed any/all apps with those permissions but the problem still persists.  I've also done as you recommended above, and it hasn't helped.

Please help because I really DON'T want to be charged for data I'm NOT intending to use.  I had it happen one night, where it came on, and in ONE night, it literally used my allotment for the month.  Please help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thanks for keeping us posted with the status of your concern k9bites! Let's partner together and get your Note 4 working properly. May I have you reply to this message with your answers to the question that my co-worker JohnB posted? Also, can I assume that there isn't any liquid/physical damage on the device? If you can reply with this info along with the exact software version that you have installed then we can proceed.
ArnettH_VZW
0 Likes
k9bites
Enthusiast - Level 1

In reply to your questions......

Question 1.

How are you turning off data on the phone? Are you doing this http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-122532/?

Yes, I am either turning off the data this way or am using the quick menu from the top of the screen.  Either way, when I initially check either one, it is OFF, but then turns itself back on.

Question 2.

When is the mobile data turning on on itself? Does it happen when connected to WiFi?

Yes, it happens when connected to WiFi but it also will connect itself when I'm not connected to WiFi.

Question 3.

You want to make sure auto switch to disabled so mobile data is not turned on when the WiFi connected is lost or weak.

This feature HAS been disabled.  I rechecked to be sure.

Question 4.

No, there is no damage, whatsoever, to my Galaxy Note 4. It was purchased, brand new, directly from Verizon, and is in perfect working condition (has always had a protective cover on it, as well).

Question 5.

System updated to Lollipop 5.0 (N910VVRU1B0AP) on 4/6

Please let me know if there is additional information you need.  Hopefully,I've addressed everything.  Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
We appreciate you providing all the info on the matter k9bites. We know how critical it is to effectively manage your data on your terms. We want to look into this deeper for you. May I ask for you to send us a private message so we can perform some higher troubleshooting steps. We're looking forward to your reply.
ArnettH_VZW
kathompson2nd
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone is doing the same thing. Figure this out because I'm not paying overages for a buggy upgrade...phone is slower, overheats and apps crash too often. Either that or trade me a different model phone.

OUTCASTED2003
Enthusiast - Level 3

My wife and I are waiting for our 3rd Note 4 replacements. We have the same problems: Over heating, app closures, phones rebooting and data turning itself on.