landscape mode?
ALICAD919

I just got my Note 8 and the home screens won't turn to landscape mode.  If I have my phone on a stand watching a movie, for example, it'll be open in landscape, but if I exit that app, all my icons are  still in portrait mode so they're all sideways.  On all my previous phones, the home screen icons would turn landscape when I turned the phone landscape.  They'd maybe not be lined up very well, but at least they'd be right-side-up.  If I want my notification screen, instead of swiping down, I have to swipe left-to-right and turn my head sideways to read them (yes, I know I can pick up the phone and turn it portrait--that's not the point). I've never had this happen on any other Samsung phone.  Is this normal?  I hope they didn't change the auto-rotate to "apps" only.  The "auto-rotate" switch is turned on so that's not it and the apps themselves open correctly.  What am I missing?

0 Likes
Re: landscape mode?
stef7
Master - Level 2

FWIW, I have an LG G4. There is nothing wrong with my device.

If I rotate it from portrait to landscape mode, no, my home screens don't rotate.

I have Settings | Display | Auto rotate screen checked.

This is typical operation I think for Home screen launchers. I think your phone is normal. Maybe you have another setting.

If you want to do this on your Note8, maybe you need to install a custom launcher like Nova:

How to use the home screen in landscape mode in Android Marshmallow - Android - Android Smartphones

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The home screen will only display in landscape when the device is placed in a dock stand where the phone recognizes it is in a dock.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you community for your input.

ALICAD919, have you been able to check the display settings? Are you using a dock?

stef7
Master - Level 2

sure, most people don't have docks for charging. I'm not even sure if one exists for the Note8.

There is a wireless pad that is offered by Samsung that will also tilt up.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Accessories: Covers, Wireless Chargers | Samsung US

That does not mean that it will force the homescreens to rotate. Maybe Ann knows.

The simplest thing to do is run a launcher like Nova available from the playstore for free.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't know about the Note 8 specifically, but I did experience a true dock for the HTC Thunderbolt. The screen only turned into landscape mode when it was plugged into the dock. That device also had a kickstand allowing the phone to rest in a landscape orientation, but the screen remained in portrait mode.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

stef7
Master - Level 2

Yep, it's likely the screen will NOT rotate to landscape when viewing a HomeScreen where icons are stored unless they load a launcher written to allow that. Nova Launcher is one. There are others.

0 Likes