Re: just got 5.1.1 update
nic_hitchins
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same findings here. I've been on my phone all morning, and I'm in a roaming area, but battery seems a tad better. Seems quicker to open apps. I'll probably do a reset later in the week when I'm bored so I can compare. So far, so good.

0 Likes
Son-of-Han

Updated earlier today to 5.1.1, as soon as the notification came in.  While the battery dropped a fair amount (20% or so) during the update, the battery usage appears much, much better.  I use to think the phone was going to start on fire it got so hot while not doing anything, with the battery usage graph trending nearly straight down, but for the last many hours it has been literally horizontal and the phone is nice and cool.  Response seems to also be greatly improved, with S-Note even popping up immediately now instead of several minutes after you remove the stylus.  Time will tell, but so far it looks really good (finally).

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

I was so excited when I saw the update that I started it in the middle of class. It took about 20 minutes to upgrade. When I booted, I noticed that the phone was extremely slow, which was a little discouraging. However, after letting it cool off (literally), the phone is now at least 5x faster. Unlocking the phone has gone from taking 5+ seconds to <1. I noticed icons are slightly different and text is slightly smaller in the status bar, but nothing major. RAM usage has halved. I now have around 1GB free instead of 450MB. Battery life is still meh (slight improvement), but I think it's because my battery was destroyed with 5.0. I guess a charge cycle will tell for sure.

There are some minor annoyances so far, however. Vibrations for notifications seem to have all been set to a short double vibration. The notification that tells when WiFi is connected is back, even though it's disabled in settings, and I can't get rid of it by swiping.

Overall, massive improvement.

0 Likes
llamee
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did, thank you.  I have two batteries coming in overnight.  I went with the Anker batteries as both seemed to have somewhat mixed results.  Hopefully that fixes the issue.  I'm just aggravated with Verizon's management.  What's the point of paying for the number one network when they leave you hanging with junk software and useless phones that don't work on said network.  Network quality is one thing, but Verizon is really behind when it comes to maintaining the devices that run on the network.  This has been an ongoing issue with them for a while now and they act as though they don't care. 

0 Likes
Jason_Nipp
Contributor - Level 3

Anybody else notice amazingly fast reboot times?

2% battery drop in an hour of use.  Seems like an improvement to me.  Last week I'd be on the charger already.

One thing I have noticed is my WiFi keeps reaquiring... could be my router though as my pc is also doing it.    I'm rebooting my router now.

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

Amazingly fast performance. Haven't checked reboot yet. Battery still meh, but I haven't charge cycled. My WiFi seems to be having a little trouble, but the WAPs here are terrible, so it's not really a valid comparison. Updating apps no longer overheats the phone, so no more huge battery drain or extreme lag. SO MUCH FASTER!!!!!!! In all seriousness, though, I feel like this is a metaphorical slap in the face for all those reps who blamed our usage habits.

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

Reboots are so fast! It's like 20-30 seconds vs. the 2 minutes it was before!

0 Likes
Jason_Nipp
Contributor - Level 3

Cache files are smaller.    The minimum cache size I saw previously was 12kb...  now it seems the minimum is 4kb.

Almost 7 hours after my update,  I'm stool at 57% battery.

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

Nice. My battery hasn't improved much, so I think I'll have to get a new one Smiley Sad.

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

Overall, though, this update is great! So nice of Verizon to give it to us ◔_◔.

0 Likes