galaxy note 4 reboot loop
Pyewaquet
Enthusiast - Level 2

After the last android update (Marshmallow) my not 4 randomly reboots and then gets stuck in a reboot loop. It doesn't seem to matter how much battery I have left. When the problem started about a month ago, it seemed to coincide with a 50% or less charge and now it happens when battery is fully charged. I've tried the soft reset (taking the battery out for 10 seconds) with no luck. When the battery is put back in, it goes right back into the loop. The only way to interrupt the loop and restart normally is to plug the phone into charger. I have backed up and performed the factory reset 4 times with no luck. In fact, I think the problem is worse. I have uninstalled all apps along with factory reset and the reboot problem persists. Does anyone have advice on this problem? As it stands now, the phone is only reliable if I can plug it in while using it. Thanks for any help you can offer...

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: galaxy note 4 reboot loop
Pyewaquet
Enthusiast - Level 2

After many, many cache partition wipes, factory resets, hours on the phone, and on Google, I am cautiously optimistic that the immediatly malfuctioning replacement for my original malfunctioning Note 4 is finally fixed. Apparently is was the battery. I went to Batteries Plus and purchased ($35) a Duracell battery. I don't remember now what I stumbled on while searching Google that prompted me to suspect the the battery, but I'm glad I found it. It's just too bad that it wasn't suggested to me when I first called Verizon for trouble shooting and possible replacement with the total protection plan... it would have saved me some time and a few headaches. Anyway, all's well that ends well, right? I hope someone else might stumble on this thread and is able to save time.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh goodness! This is definitely not the intended purpose on this update Pyewaquet. We want to ensure we get this to stop with your phone. Thank so much for all the details and your efforts thus far. Just wanted to clarify with you, when the phone is on the charger, that is the only time it doesn't reboot, correct? Is there any damage with the phone? Click here to view examples: http://vz.to/1FAmX2E. As soon as you take it off the charger, does it start the reboot process?

NicoleB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Pyewaquet, we definitely want you to have a working phone. We appreciate all the troubleshooting steps that you have completed. Let's get this fixed right away. I'd like to wipe the cache partition on the device to see if that will help the boot loop. Here's the step

1. Turn phone off completely.
2. To start the phone, press the following keys simultaneously: Power Button, Home Button, Volume +
3. When the first logo can be seen on the screen, release the power button, but hold the Home button and the Volume + button pressed
4. It now appears on the screen of your phone, a small menu. Navigate with the Volume + and Volume - keys. An entry is selected by the Power Button
5. Select in this menu now "Wipe Cache Partition".
6. After you have selected the entry the Wipe cache is flushed. This takes a few seconds. Then it automatically returns to the small menu.
7. Now select the top entry with "Reboot Now"

Let us know how it works for you.

ZangY_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Pyewaquet
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for responding. Along with the resets, I did also wipe the cache partition in the manner you describe. No luck with that rither. As it stand now, I have another Note 4, a refurbished one through the Verizon replacement program, and the replacement is doing the same thing accept it now happens constantly. The phone *only* functions if it is plugged into a charger.

Pyewaquet
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is correct. The phone only works on the charger and plugging into a charger is the only way to stop the reboot loop. Now I have a replacement Note 4 through the Verizon replacement program and it's doing the same thing. Very frustrating.

Pyewaquet
Enthusiast - Level 2

And yes, as soon as I take it off the charger, it goes into the reboot loop.

Thanks for your responses by the way. 🙂

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Pyewaquet, I know this has to be frustrating after getting a replacement. It is highly unusual to experience the same issue with the replacement. That usually means that there is an application causing your phone to malfunction. When you did the master reset did you restore all of you information right away? If so, try doing the master reset, and then going 20 minutes without restoring anything. Does it work then?

MarcusS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Pyewaquet
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn't reinstall any apps other than what seems to come pre-installed. By my information,  do you mean contacts, etc... from the cloud? Because I did not get to that part of the reset for abut an hour after setting up the replacement.

Pyewaquet
Enthusiast - Level 2

After many, many cache partition wipes, factory resets, hours on the phone, and on Google, I am cautiously optimistic that the immediatly malfuctioning replacement for my original malfunctioning Note 4 is finally fixed. Apparently is was the battery. I went to Batteries Plus and purchased ($35) a Duracell battery. I don't remember now what I stumbled on while searching Google that prompted me to suspect the the battery, but I'm glad I found it. It's just too bad that it wasn't suggested to me when I first called Verizon for trouble shooting and possible replacement with the total protection plan... it would have saved me some time and a few headaches. Anyway, all's well that ends well, right? I hope someone else might stumble on this thread and is able to save time.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Pyewaquet-

I'm glad to hear that your phone is back in business. I'm alarmed to read that this was not suggested to you after calling us, but I'm certainly hopeful that the battery will be the end of any headaches insued as a result of the update. While we are here in the forums, is there anything else that we can assist you with today?

AmberK_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes