Wifi connectivity issues even after updates. Going over data....
bwujeckel
Enthusiast - Level 2

just wondering if anyone is still having this issue even after updates. I recently came from the Note 2 and never had this issue and have never went over 2gb of data. I am a light user during the day at work but use my phone a lot at home in WIFI. i have used as much as 7-12 gb on WIFI. Since switching to the Note 3 i have gone over data every month and had to throttle back use last week of each pay period to not go over more and still go over. I was told to turn off data,hard reset my device,clear cache and force stop WIFI app. I have taken all updates and reset device again and again. Same results.Notice the strong signal in notification Screenshot_2013-12-19-19-21-55.pngScreenshot_2013-12-19-19-22-11.png

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Wifi connectivity issues even after updates. Going over data....
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi bwujeckel,

We’re sorry to hear you’re having a problem with the wi-fi on your phone. I understand how important it is to have access to it to ensure you’re within your allowance and I appreciate you being proactive about it. I definitely want you to be able to enjoy your Note 3 and have provided with additional steps below. Please keep us posted to advise us if this helped.

1)    Power Cycle the Device and power your Router/AP test the connection again.
2)    Uninstall any non-preloaded security, antivirus, power saver, and data saver applications then power cycle the device and test again.
3)    Boot the device into Safe Mode and test again.
4)    Perform a Factory Data Reset on the device and test again.
5)    Contact your Router/AP manufacturer to get assistance in both performing a factory reset on the device and also updating the firmware to the latest available version.  After both have been done, please re-test Wi-Fi functionality with default settings.

If this does not reconnect it to your wi-fi, please follow these steps to help keep you within your allowance: Settings>Data Usage>Limit Mobile Data Usage>Adjust your bill cycle>Slide bar to limit usage.

What is your make/model for your router?

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
bwujeckel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for replying

These are the things i have done

1.Taken all updates OTA and done factory reset(probably have done about 6 factory resets)

2. Power cycled all Modems and Routers(Main modem and router is Arris DG860 other router is linksys wndr3400v2)

3.Updated firmware on Linksys router. Called cable company to make sure Arris modem/router was up to date

4. Replaced sim card in phone

5.Made sure auto network switch is OFF

6.I have shut off mobile data but that ends up not giving me a smartphone when wifi signal wont stay connected.The phone is supposed to automatically switch to wifi. Verizon preaches Wifi Wifi Wifi. But what do u do when it wont stay connected.

7. i have literally used this phone LESS than any other phone ive had and have went over data.

8. i woke up to day to realize im already at 1gb with my bill cycle starting over 12/15

9.I have went to Samsung and even had them look at the device.

10.This alot of work just for something as simple as WIFI. My average signal strength is 43 -56 dbm in my house.I honestly believe the phone is using mobile data even though its on wifi. I think the wifi software are hardware is working intermittently causing the phone to use the Mobile data. Im really trying to remain CALM but this really is alot of "what i got to do to correct the situation and not the other way around"

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for detailing what you've done to attempt to resolve this issue bwujeckel. I understand that it can be frustrating to constantly have to troubleshoot your phone. Do you see this message about your wifi being unstable each time you connect? Does this happen with other wifi connections? Did you already complete the factory reset that we suggested? If so, and still having this issue, the device may need to be replaced.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Cuzzzz

My wife is having the same issue on her samsung g note 3.  She never went above 2 mb and now is around 5 mb a month without changing her cell phone pattern.  I had to up her plan but yet she is close to her limit every month.  Her note sucks big time.  She can't make or receive a call without it dropping, internet usage is way up for no reason, and she use to hate ATT but she is starting to like them again.  This phone is useless.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is that 2 MB or 2 GB? Same for the 5 MB. Is it really 5 GB?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Cuzzzz

I want your wife to enjoy using her Galaxy Note 3 on our network again!  I am concerned, however, why her usage increased so.  Does she utilize WiFi where available?  This will help her maximize her data allowance.  I would also suggest having her check her application list in the Settings > Data Usage http://vz.to/1enkNmC section to see which applications are using more data.  This can help pinpoint the culprit.  Keep me posted!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
BBb

I also had the same  problems, after getting my alert of going over 2G. I removed downloaded software, and did a factory restore, restricted the Google backup to wifi only..........so far it has slowed down the data usage,  it is still eats  twice the amount of  data as the iPhone.  I hope the programmers rethink update better, I don't like doing a factory restore after every update.....⚠

0 Likes
sarcos
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had the same issue. I have completed the same steps you have including swapping my Note 3 for a brand new Note 3 within my DOA period. I came on tonight to see if I could find a fix, but had to let you know that in order to stop the phone from burning through your data when you aren't aware that you have lost connections you can follow these steps. (This is what I have done. It makes it so that I won't use my data when I think that I have a wifi connection. I have to choose to use the data connection instead.)

Go into settings

Click Wi-Fi (tap to configure)

Press the menu button, then Advanced

Un-check the box that says "Auto Network switch"

Once again this isn't a fix, but something I figured out to at least let me control my data usage. The VZW person wants you to figure out which app is burning through your data, which isn't the problem in my opinion. The problem is not knowing when your phone is using your wireless connection vs. your wifi connection.

Hope they fix this soon.

0 Likes
steve1811
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same problem on new Note 3. I spent weeks and tried all the standard fixes. None worked.

Yesterday I turned of the Bluetooth and all was fixed. Try that. There seems to be a well known Wifi - Bluetooth bug (perhaps in 4.3) that is not well understood or acknowledged.

Steve

0 Likes