Why won't Google sync work when Wi-Fi is on?
WAW5656
Enthusiast - Level 2

Various Google apps don't work properly unless the WiFi is turned off and Mobile Data is on.  We noticed that Translate voice recognition stopped working before the Marshmallow update; the update did not fix it.  After reading about the WiFi issues with the update, I started figuring out that Google apps specifically were having issues when the WiFi was on.  When using Mobile Data only, Translate voice recognition works.  By the way, voice recognition on other apps worked with the WiFi on.  This occurs on both Note 5 phones that we own; each has been updated.  Google Sync works with Mobile Data only, as with other Google apps.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Google sync not working when WiFi is on
WAW5656
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved.

The issue was with my Linksys WRT1900AC wireless router.  A technician was fixing my internet service due to slow wired connection speeds on my computers.  After he replaced the cable to my home because it tested poorly, I still had a slow connection.  At his suggestion, I connected my old Linksys E2000 router and the speeds were back to normal.  Using the old router, our two Note5 phones started working again.  All issues previously reported went away.

It just so happens that I received the Marshmallow update with the Wifi fix this morning.  It went smoothly and I haven't noticed any issues.  But my problem was with my router.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

when you were having app problems were you using blue tooth??

0 Likes
WAW5656
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife has her Blue Tooth on; I do not.  Both phones behave the same.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

what google apps are you having problems with wi-fi??

0 Likes
WAW5656
Enthusiast - Level 2

All Google apps.  In addition to Google, I am having the same issue with Samsung apps, updates and store.  I first noticed several weeks ago, long before the Marshmallow update, that I couldn't connect to the Gear VR Oculus store.  After realizing the WiFi/Mobile Data issue, I can confirm the Samsung items are behaving the same way.  There may be other apps having the same issues.

0 Likes
WAW5656
Enthusiast - Level 2

I should add that switching between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on my home WiFi does not change the behavior.  Nor does having Mobile Data on or off while the WiFi is on.

0 Likes
WAW5656
Enthusiast - Level 2

As time goes by, more apps stop working with Wifi.  They all work with Mobile Data turned ON.  My data usage has increased substantially because of this, which leads me to believe that Verizon won't be in a hurry to fix this problem.  They certainly haven't offered any solutions here.  Does their support staff monitor these discussions? 

0 Likes
WAW5656
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved.

The issue was with my Linksys WRT1900AC wireless router.  A technician was fixing my internet service due to slow wired connection speeds on my computers.  After he replaced the cable to my home because it tested poorly, I still had a slow connection.  At his suggestion, I connected my old Linksys E2000 router and the speeds were back to normal.  Using the old router, our two Note5 phones started working again.  All issues previously reported went away.

It just so happens that I received the Marshmallow update with the Wifi fix this morning.  It went smoothly and I haven't noticed any issues.  But my problem was with my router.

0 Likes