Why does my software update keep stopping?
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

I have a Galaxy Note 4 which has recently started displaying the notification, "Unfortunately, Software update has stopped" randomly.  I can click OK and there does not seem to be any harm done, but it's annoying.  After an internet search, I discovered that this is a fairly common problem after Marshmallow.  I can't follow the directions given on the internet to fix it, which involves clearing the update cache, so I'm at a loss as to what to do.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unfortunately, Software update has stopped
yeseniav_vzw
Verizon Employee
chuckwilmot- we want to make sure your device is working properly. At this time, we do suggest that you do a factory reset. Before doing the reset, please make sure that you backup your information to the Verizon Cloud or any other backup assistant you use.

YeseniaV_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Chuckwilmot, we certainly understanding wanting to put a stop to these pesky notifications. When did the issue start? What software version do you currently have?

StevenM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

chuckwilmot-

I know how inconvenient having this pop up message on your phone can be. No worries, we can find a solution. We would need to run the software repair assistance so any issues after the update can be fixed https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-80201/

May I ask what step from the link you are not able to complete? I would be happy to clarify any concerns and continue assisting to make sure the steps are followed without any issues.

CarmenT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

To those who answered, thank you.  I attempted to run the repair assistant, but I get to the place where it says, "ready to repair", and it won't run. 

I found someplace on the internet where it described holding the home button and the up volume, then power on, to get to a place where I could delete the cache, and I was able to do that.  Powering back on, I got the message again.  So that didn't help.

Lastly, thinking that I had an app which had gone rogue and was not getting updated correctly, I went in to the app manager and enabled all the apps I had previously disabled, and then hid the ones I didn't want to see.  That has seemed to solve the problem, although now my Yahoo email app won't synch unless I open it and swipe down on the inbox.  Maybe I'll try uninstalling it and reinstalling.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

When you did the repair assistant did you do Volume down-Power-Home?

0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

No, to Kathy65793.  Was I supposed to?  I didn't see any directions to do that.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I guess you don't have to do it that way it was the same problem I had before when I used the repair asst so I just shut it down and did it that way and it worked for me. When you did the Volume up -Power-Home and cleared the cached partition did you do the factory reset from there? If you have it working except for that 1 app I would try and uninstall it like you said and then reinstall being that you said everything else seem to be working

0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

Kathy, I didn't do a factory reset.  And...  yes, I uninstalled my Yahoo email and reinstalled it, and now it works.  I seem to have fixed the original problem, although I really don't know what part of it was the cure.

Again, to those who replied, many thanks.

yeseniav_vzw
Verizon Employee
chuckwilmot- we want to make sure your device is working properly. At this time, we do suggest that you do a factory reset. Before doing the reset, please make sure that you backup your information to the Verizon Cloud or any other backup assistant you use.

YeseniaV_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes