Why does my signal change to 1x when I make a call?
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just brought a  note 5 when I was  on the phone tonight the 4G signal goes away I get  x1 signal  and I  can't  do anything  with my phone  is this  normal  or how do I fix it

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy Note 5
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is normal. Please go to Settings > Advanced Calling, and opt into the service if you're not already opted in. Then, make sure HD Voice is enabled. From there so long as you're on LTE, the phone should have data service.

Alternatively, make sure your phone is on Wi-Fi. Apps that require data should still continue to work despite your phone falling to the 1X network to make a call. With Advanced Calling enabled, data will ride over Wi-Fi even though your phone is making a call over the LTE network.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is normal. Please go to Settings > Advanced Calling, and opt into the service if you're not already opted in. Then, make sure HD Voice is enabled. From there so long as you're on LTE, the phone should have data service.

Alternatively, make sure your phone is on Wi-Fi. Apps that require data should still continue to work despite your phone falling to the 1X network to make a call. With Advanced Calling enabled, data will ride over Wi-Fi even though your phone is making a call over the LTE network.

Jvc1

After a lot of research and help with Verizon Support, I now have wi fi calling on my Note 5.  It automatically switches to wi fi when encountering a poor signal, as in most of my home.  There are discussions about an icon showing the call is over wi fi, but I don't have one in my top status bar.  The wireless call icon does show up on the recent calls page where calls were made or received over wi fi.  Very nice feature.  I have been waiting a long time for this!  No more "you're cutting out" complaints while in my house.

0 Likes
Re: Why does my signal cihange to 1x when I make a call?
Srrn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have same problem even after SIM card replaced! What the heck Verizon!

sroutsong
Enthusiast - Level 1

I changed my phone settings according to what you said and it works!

Thank you Smith!