Where did charge only option go?
JRAHNBO2
Contributor - Level 2

Maybe its something I did or something that occurred after the last OTA in December I don't know for sure, but I'm missing the option to "Charge Only" when I plug the GN3 in to a PC via USB.  I know the option to "Charge Only" was there because when I first got the GN3 I was having to borrow people's USB ports all the time because I was messing with the phone too much and running down the battery. The only two options I have now are Media Device (MTP) or Camera (PTP).  USB 3.0 grayed out because the connected PC's are USB 2.0. One of the two must be selected because if I deselect one option then the other is automatically selected.  This is a problem because when you just want to borrow someone's USB port for a quick charge they have full access to anything on your phone's storage.  Not good.  Perhaps I'm missing something obvious but any suggestions for getting the option to charge only when plugged in to a PC via USB would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Where did charge only option go?
NexusMan21
Contributor - Level 2

I could not get the charge only to show up on my Note 3 either, perhaps I am also missing something. Here's what I found:

If you use a lockscreen other than swipe, leave the phone locked when you plug it in, only the partition with VZW Software Assistant shows up on the PC, not MTP or PTP. You have to be unlocked to select one and have it show up on the PC.

If you plug the phone in unlocked, then lock it. You'll still have access to the rest of the phones contents.

I just verified this with Windows 8.1, not sure if it differs on other operating systems.

Re: Where did charge only option go?
JRAHNBO2
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks NexusMan. I just tried it on 2 Windows 7 boxes.  I don't have a Win 8 box available at the moment. On Win 7 using the lock pattern lock screen it brought up the VZW partition upon plugging in (while locked) then about 5 seconds later brought up the MTP automatically but it was blank.  I guess that's something.  Also I found that the phone had to be locked for a little while, at least a minute or two. If I plugged it in right after locking then all partitions were fully available to the PC.

0 Likes