Re: When will the Marshmallow update be released for the Note 4?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

sublimetalmsg wrote:

I have been wondering the same thing. Most of my friends have their update on other carriers so i googled and apparently Verizon slowest at updates  in the world. Which is a huge bummer to me since i like everything up to date. I wonder how many customers switch for this reason alone.

Verizon Wireless isn't always the slowest to release updates. The Note 4 actually got an update recently in February. Since this update wasn't Marshmallow, one could conclude that the Samsung team working on the update hadn't started on the Marshmallow update yet. An example of VZW not being last is Note 5 T-Mobile Galaxy Note 5 And S6 Edge+ Receive Android 6.0 Marshmallow OTA Updates which saw the Marshmallow update on the Verizon model second after Sprint with T-Mobile after the Verizon model. AT&T is still waiting for their update.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Bigsteelguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

My guess would be September this year. The new update is already been rolling out to people in many other countries, and has already rolled out to some of the other carriers. Verizon is known to hold onto updates for months before they decide to release it. They do this so people will buy newer phones to get the latest Android os, instead of holding onto their old phones longer. It's a money making scheme that they use, and we all know how evil it is. Then again, they would sell more Note4's if they did update it more quicker. Remember we were all stuck with lollipop 5.0.1 for 9 months and for those 9 months, people had some serious issues, so they directed everyone to buy the Note5 instead. The Verizon support team hates updating phones, and does not care for their customers. It's why many of us are deciding to leave or have left already. I've made my decision when the Note 6 or Nexus 7p comes out later this year, which i'm switching carriers and buying an unlocked phone.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The above link shows that it doesn't always happen like you said it does...

0 Likes
Eagle3601
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a lot of blah blah.  I switched from Sprint 16 months ago and I can't believe I'd regret doing so.  My Note 4 has been the worst phone (ever) dating back to my Treo days.  You're too slow with your updates and too uncommunicative and insensitive to the customer for my liking.  Thanks to Werizon, my next phone will be with another carrier and it won't be a Samsung.

0 Likes
sublimetalmsg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Where are you getting your information? I worked for a carrier for 8 years and we had our own team do soak tests not Samsung. Samsung would release a build and we would test it first. Samsung never specifically made different builds for each carrier that i was aware of. Does Verizon Pay Samsung to work on a special builds for Verizon phones?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

So you worked for one carrier. Did you try working for another carrier?

Aside that manufacturers already admitted they have different builds and different teams working on updates for the past 4 years, but no one listened to them.

0 Likes
sublimetalmsg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Negative I did not. I am not doubting things could be different I only knew a few people from the tech division. When I had spoken to someone at the time they explained that they have the build and test it in house. I imagine if they have to test for each carrier it becomes extremely complicated since America is not the only country on this rock SO there must be some sort of leeway somewhere.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Here's something to back up what manufacturers said and you can check it out yourself.

Say Sprint pushed the update first. Then 2 weeks later you get soak test. It fails and go back to Samsung and then a week later you get an update. Now if they were the same build shouldn't Sprint be getting that update?

Manufacturers have different teams and different build based on the number of agreements they made and they do not finish at the same time nor do they have the same builds.

Tidbits
Legend

That's why updates around the world doesn't happen at the same time.  Look at Canada, Australia,  and each US carrier. Even Some Asian countries.  It's not so uniformed like Apple. Don't let Apple trick you either. Carriers are part of ADC as part of Apples agreement with them. Carriers must test and certify using ADC. Apple finishes updates at different times, but doesn't push updates until all their devices are finished to give the illusion of timeliness.

sublimetalmsg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Makes sense but would the Manufacturer you think fragment each carrier also? or send out all their test build simultaneously. If Verizon is the last to get it then that explains the wait times.

0 Likes